RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 range rover hse

Last winter my fuel pump went out, and in the process of troubleshooting and trying to start it multiple times in freezing temps, my pcv hoses froze up and cause the issue where white smoke comes out of the exhaust and the engine compartment, oil ran out everywhere. So I replaced my pcv valve to resolve that issue. Mine didn't have the tin foil electric blanket wrapped around the pipes, so the two hoses are still in good shape(not gummy). I also replaced the hose that runs from the pcv to number 6 in the first picture. Shortly after this I got codes p1173 and p1170 coming up so I tried replacing the oxygen sensors got the rear two replaced but could not get the front ones out so I brought it into an indy shop and they got those replaced, they cleared the codes and after 30 miles they came back up.

So I have a couple of questions. I'm not sure I have the two hoses hooked up correctly to the cyclonic oil separator. The first picture I'm attaching shows the hose coming out of the bottom of the pcv connecting to the bottom of the oil separator and the second picture shows it connected to the top. I found these pictures on the forum here but I'm not sure which one is correct. I've tried it both ways and neither gets rid of the codes, but I'd like to get it hooked up correctly.

second question I have is, item number 7 in the first picture pulled out when I removed the pcv valve and I'm not sure if I have it connected up to the right spot on the front by item number 8. I removed the intake manifold and stuck my hand in there and felt a circular hole on the lower left hand side when I was facing the front so I put it in there. I have a feeling this is not correct, but I'm not sure where else it goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs3Y2JKAM70 it also has a part 2. It should answer your questions.

I think you have to run your motor for a bit and get all the oil out of the system. My guess is you are still burning a ton of oil and that is messing up your O2 sensors. Make sure your hoses are firm - the blanket does not make them soft the heat and oil do this. You can replace them with stock hose which is what I did.

If you want the blanket, send me a pm with your address.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In part 2 of the video at 4:33 it looks like the hose that comes out of pcv valve connects to the upper connection on the cyclonic oil seperator, but i did notice a small hose that he has coming out of the right hand yellow connector on the back of the pcv valve. I don't have this hose, is this common?

Do you happen to know where the front of the inlet manifold vacuum pipe(item #7) connects? I didn't see any mention of that in the two videos.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Here is another link from RSW Solutions: http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php/mkiii-repair-videos/347-mkiii-how-to-repair-pcv-parts

Bottom hose on the cyclonic goes to the valve cover on a RR. On older BMW engines things were different and that may be the cause of the confusion. The bottom picture you have posted is correct.

As to the second question regarding the small hose - RR deleted the secondary air pump due to problems and lack of need - and I believe this is the hose you are referencing. Do you have a rubber cap sealing this?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so now im really confused, if you look at the last two pictures from the link that you sent me they show two different things. The first picture shows the hose coming from the pcv valve connected to the top of the cyclonic oil seperator and the second picture shows it connected to the bottom of the cyclonic oil seperator.

yes where the smaller hose was connected there is a rubber plug

Also still need to know where the front end of item #7 in the last picture from the page of the link that you just sent me goes.

I just need to head over to your place some weekend to do some side by side comparison

·
Registered
346 Posts
I see what you mean. The two pictures are showing different things. I pulled up the parts diagram from here: http://cat.lrparts.ru/

It shows the lower hose of the two large hoses on the cyclonic oil separator going to the valve cover and the top large hose going to the PCV valve. Like in the photo (not diagram) you originally posted.

Regarding item #7 - watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZITZoLTgGE

- relevant to your question starts around 9:50. Don't worry about the other tube he talks about - that is for the older BMW M62 version.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I watched the video for item #7 he basically says that if it comes out when you remove the pcv to take off the intake and put it back, but he doesn't say where it connects up to when you take the intake manifold off. I think i'll pull mine off to get a better look.

·
Registered
346 Posts
RE #7 - The pipe can only fit into one of the holes - I don't recall which, but the inner pipe goes straight back. Which ever one it aligns with is the correct one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got codes p1173 and p1170 coming up so I tried replacing the oxygen sensors got the rear two replaced but could not get the front ones out so I brought it into an indy shop and they got those replaced, they cleared the codes and after 30 miles they came back up.
Did correcting the PCV valve and hose get rid of 1170 and 1173 for you? Any feedback would be really appreciated...these codes are driving me crazy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts