RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a number of posts about this, and it seems my tow socket is not compatible with this, due to having no direct feed to the battery.

My question is, as the reason I need to try to get power to the car is that the lights were left on, is the tow socket going to have a feed to the battery from the pin for the rear lights or number plate light? If so, do I risk anything trying to hook up 12v to this circuit in an attempt to open the car to get to the battery?

Thanks!

My first post, apologies if this is a simplistic question, it is late and I have flu. Thinking cap is not functioning as normal!

Merry Christmas everyone!

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Well first off we have no clue what year rig you have. Simple way to get power to your dead battery is to hook a battery charger to your battery cable at the starter... That will be a direct feed. You won;t have to worry about any lighting module you may have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It’s a 2002 mark 3. Will try and get under once I clear some snow!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
887 Posts
The usual solution is to use your key to enter the car then pop the bonnet.

If you only have an FOB and have lost the key, then you can pull one of the side marker lights on the front fenders and add power there. You can only use the positive wire, and will have to use the chassis for the ground, as that is where the power for the light is switched.

If you have the factory tow hitch, then, as you saw, it cuts power when the car is turned off. Those that use the hitch to add power have installed a home-made hitch wire.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
The usual solution is to use your key to enter the car then pop the bonnet.
Well there is that. One would assume that was attempted if he had a key available.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the key, I also have an inoperative driver side door lock, from the outside with the key.. Was waiting for a spare key and new lock to arrive, and unfortunately worst case scenario occurred leaving the lights on. I have resolved to put a hatch in the bonnet to allow emergency access to the battery terminal. It is a drastic solution, but one that will ensure no repetition of the problem, and I may well add a solar charger into the mix.

It speaks well for the security of the vehicle, which may have been required in the past, but is not so important now it is old and of little value!

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts