RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I am new to this but I feel that I will be on here a lot.

I brought a 2010 3.6L V8 Vogue about 2 months ago

I was doing short trips today with air on on a lot and cooled seats.

I parked my car for about 1 hour, then went to drive home after about 2 mins the error came up saying charging system fault, I drove it for about 5 miles and haven't seen a drop in power etc but the warning won't go off.

Anyone had this issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have gotten the fault before, with the alternator charging normally. Replacing the alternator fixed it...after much troubleshooting that amounted to nothing.

Then, a year later I had the alternator fail completely, but the fault light did not come on at all until the battery was nearly dead.

Go figure!?! The only thing I can say from my experience is that the light is controlled by a logic circuit within the alternator...so, depending on the failure mode, the light may or may not reflect what is really going on. In all cases, it is the alternator at fault...although you still need to troubleshoot all the system connections to ensure it's not just a corroded terminal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CJD

I charged the battery overnight to see if it was just a slight low battery issue but issue still came on when I put the battery back in.

I found a really good post about the wires potentially being burnt out. I am going to trace the wires because im guessing that an Alternator is expensive.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Most of the time if the tension on the serpentine belt is a little loose causing the alternator to not spin as fast could give you that fault there are also 2 battery monitors on the cables them selfs you can test the two and see if they are faulty they can also cause the light to come on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts