RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it OK to connect trickle charger directly to booster points adjacent strut head rather than disconnect battery and charge directly?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
208 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Hate having to disconnect battery and all it entails.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Charging off of the jump points is technically what you're meant to do...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great site I’ve got my answer by reading answers to questions and will be on here again as I’ve just got a R R L322 2011 . She’s gorgeous 4.4 TDV8 Vogue and wow hundreds of vids on YouTube so between this site and y/t I’m sorted I’ll be in touch .
Blackbird1100

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
160 Posts
As others have mentioned, the remote connections are the proper points to use, per the manual, in order to remove potential sparking from the actual battery vicinity. (When I worked at Sears Automotive in the 1980s, the battery dude had TWO different batteries explode in his face. That whole hydrogen + spark = Hindenburg thingy.)

FYI, you can check the reliability of those remote connections by starting the engine and connecting a voltmeter directly to the negative terminal, with the other end on the remote connection. Repeat with the positive circuit. Voltage difference between connections should be less than 120 millivolts / 120 mV / 0.12V (all the same number). If more than that, check for rust or a loose connection. And squirrels. Problems in life almost always involve squirrels in some manner.

Personally I would never use the 25 amp setting of my 2/10/25 amp charger on my L322 without first disconnecting the battery cables, but a low-amp charge (low single digits) should be fine for the vehicle's electronics, at least that's what the squirrels assure me.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
163 Posts
Am I missing something? I know of the remote ground post on top of the wheel well, but dont know of a remote positive post on my 2009 L322.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thought there was a positive AND a negative post for jump starting BUT it’s on the earlier models 2006 and NOT on my L322 Bogue 2012

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
160 Posts
Sounds like the remote connection(s) vary by model series. There's both negative and positive for the 2003-2005 BMW trucks. The owner's manual will clarify the best method. If you have a flux capacitor like the DeLorean, just put banana peels in it, positive side ONLY.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts