Range Rovers Forum banner

Changing your own oil, 16k between oil changes, and cost?

15K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  aeggroup 
#1 ·
I've been changing my own oil for years on most of my vehicles, most recently I had purchased the oil evacuator when doing my 2011 BMW 740il and my 2010 Range Rover. The evacuator makes it so quick and easy.

So here's my question; I have a 2016 RR HSE Td6 with 28k miles, the dealer said I don't need an oil change for another 15k miles. To me that seams waaaay too long, is it?

My rig is CPO, so should I have the dealer change the oil and should I wait for the recommended time frame? I plan on keeping this car for awhile.

What is the average charge for a dealer to change the oil?

#2 ·
Just change it yourself. Will give you piece of mind and you will know that it’s good. Especially since you already have the evacuator and know how to do it. Its super easy to change the oil and reset the alert on these trucks.

I change my own oil and filters on my 2015 (also CPO, but oil changes are not covered to my knowledge) every year without regard for miles (and it’s less than 10k/yr going on that truck).

Dealer will probably charge a few hundred dollars at least, and will try to up-sell something else that’s (not)needed so I tend to avoid them.

#3 ·
Just change it yourself. Will give you piece of mind and you will know that it’s good. Especially since you already have the evacuator and know how to do it. Its super easy to change the oil and reset the alert on these trucks.

I definitely agree that changing the oil is a very simple process. What I haven't been able to do is reset the maintenance minder. I've tried the open door, open hood and press the excel process as seen on youtube but doesn't seem to work on my 2016.

Is there a different reset process I should be performing?

Thx

#4 ·
I would not be waiting 15-16K miles to change the oil. I would be doing it every 6-8k miles personally, It has been shown many times the ridiculous intervals manufacturers are recommending now is only causing damage, it doesnt matter who makes the oil or what the components of the oil are its just not good practice to leave it that long.

#5 ·
In Houston, It depends on the Dealership, from $160-$189.00. It was not as bad as I thought it would be. However they want to "up-sell" everything under the hood. Big turn off for me. After warranty I'll go to PepBoys for my oil changes. Pep Boys do my other cars and have been fantastic in service and price.

#8 ·
Having already owned a fluid evacuator, it cost me $50 for oil and and $25 for the oil filter. Takes me about 5 minutes actual work. Most time is spend cleaning the engine bay and topping off other fluids. I do this every 5000 miles or one year.

#9 ·
I think the Td6 requires a different oil that's slight more expensive; $74.99. Depends on how much the dealer or Freeman Motors charges though I guess.

#10 ·
Being a Ford motor, I’d go to the Ford dealer and ask for 3.0 Powerstroke oil. Less expensive and the correct stuff.

Same specifications.

IMO 5-10k mile changes are far better for a Diesel engine. They’re sooty internally.. you couldn’t pay me to go 16k miles on any oil, in any engine.

I change my oil in my 2017 3.0 ever 8k miles. I keep all receipts and write down mileage for each oil change so I do not have issues with warranty. I buy the filters from the dealership under my account for $50, I use Pennzoil Platinum Ultra 5w30. It has correct JLR certifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#13 ·
well I have some time to figure it all out, the suction pipe is the one to the left of the oil filler correct? I have a vacuum evacuator that I used to use on my 2010 RR. I'm assuming all other processes are the same, i.e. 4 turns (full rotation) to loosen the filter cap then suction the oil, replace filter and then replace the oil. How many quarts do the Td6 engines hold?

#24 ·
#23 ·
Every 5k miles, here. Mobil 1 and Mann filters, via vacuum method. I document the oil changes and if JLR ever wants to deny warranty on the account of doing my own oil changes, they'll have a fight on their hands under the Magnuson-Moss act. Sure, they have more money than I for litigation, but IMHO word of mouth will cost them more in the long run.

#28 ·
He is referring to that little metal tube that's right under the oil cap. That's tube runs all the way into the oil pan, and you can use it to vacuum oil out through it, you don't have to run a plastic tube all the way into the oil pan.

#32 ·
Thanks. I know that and was using the same method to change oil in my Audi A8 TDI, but evacuator tubing diameter was less than this tube and I could push it all down to the oil pan. I'll try to do it as you say guys. Thanks so much for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.