Range Rovers Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
What kind of oil evacuator are you guys using ? I have oil evacuator, which I bought for my Audi A8 and used it with no issues on Audi, but can't use it on RR. Diameter of the evacuator tube is bigger than diameter of the engine pipe where you have to put it in.
I got this one : 6.5 Liter Fluid Extractor
My car is 2016 TD6

·
Registered
2018 L405
166 Posts
Every 5k miles, here. Mobil 1 and Mann filters, via vacuum method. I document the oil changes and if JLR ever wants to deny warranty on the account of doing my own oil changes, they'll have a fight on their hands under the Magnuson-Moss act. Sure, they have more money than I for litigation, but IMHO word of mouth will cost them more in the long run.

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
2018 L405
166 Posts
He is referring to that little metal tube that's right under the oil cap. That's tube runs all the way into the oil pan, and you can use it to vacuum oil out through it, you don't have to run a plastic tube all the way into the oil pan.

·
Registered
208 Posts
He is referring to that little metal tube that's right under the oil cap. That's tube runs all the way into the oil pan, and you can use it to vacuum oil out through it, you don't have to run a plastic tube all the way into the oil pan.
Hmmm. Thanks for explanation.
You just confirmed how I understood it the first time I saw that, but my thinking was if I slip it over the tube it will not create suction because it will leak air.
I'll try it. Thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
So long as the fluid extractor tubing is tight around the pipe within the oil filler area, the vacuum is created and maintained. The mityvac I use comes with at least 3 different tubing diameter sizes and one of them always fits.

·
Registered
208 Posts
On the TDV6, there is a specific tube for extracting the oil, circled in red here:
View attachment 292330
Thanks. I know that and was using the same method to change oil in my Audi A8 TDI, but evacuator tubing diameter was less than this tube and I could push it all down to the oil pan. I'll try to do it as you say guys. Thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
2017 Range Rover SC
50 Posts
Every 5k miles with 8 liters of LiquiMoly LR SpecialTec 5w20. Mityvac evacuator and a new filter. Don’t even have to get under it. No way I’m going beyond 5k miles. That’s nuts.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts