Range Rovers Forum banner

Changing to Arnotts. Rear springs up front for more lift?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ColoradoCrow 
#1 ·
I'm taking the financial plunge and buying some GenIII's for the Rover. Word on the street is some people using stock bags have placed rears on the front to achieve more lift. So I was wondering, would be feasible to do the same with the Arnotts and get some extra-EXTRA height gains? Yes, I've already taken into account the brake lines and height sensors would need to be extended to counter the worry of over-stretching, in addition to recalibration.
Also figured it'd also be easier having 2 rear spares in tow for simplicity instead of having one front and one rear.

#2 ·
I have heard of running rear shocks up front for more travel and the Gen IIIs will accommodate that, but not the bags too. The biggest issue you will start to run into is the height sensors. Better have some spares for them too, and an emergency fill option for when the whole EAS shuts down and you need to limp home. There are some that have worked out a small extension to the sensors, I think those can be found here via search. I do know a guy that has taken his P38 to the Ultimate extreme and still be running EAS. I can ask him a few questions if you want me to.

#6 ·
I have heard of running rear shocks up front for more travel and the Gen IIIs will accommodate that, but not the bags too. The biggest issue you will start to run into is the height sensors. Better have some spares for them too, and an emergency fill option for when the whole EAS shuts down and you need to limp home. There are some that have worked out a small extension to the sensors, I think those can be found here via search. I do know a guy that has taken his P38 to the Ultimate extreme and still be running EAS. I can ask him a few questions if you want me to.
Fantastic! The end goal is to build an overland P38 so advice from anyone who has done the same is always welcome. When you say the "ultimate extreme", what all does that entail? What type of lift is he running along with any other upgrades? Any pictures would be great.

Did you hear that on the street though??
I'm trying to find this street......rofl
On the corner of Homepage Ave. and The Upgrade Tab Street
http://www.rangerovers.net/rrupgrades/airlifts.html
First line of "Front Lift Details" section.
Why do I feel nobody reads the Upgrades page anymore haha

I figured using that in tandem with the Andrew Parker style lift of the same link would give me some super clearance to eventually throw some 35's. It should work just fine, I was just looking for some extra confirmation as I'm not the most educated with the EAS, yet. \\//_

#3 ·
Word on what street exactly?

#5 ·
Did you hear that on the street though??
I'm trying to find this street......rofl

#7 ·
I know a guy that did the Ultimate Adventure in a P38, it was 2015. You can find video and pics and articles online.

#8 ·
I have got Gen III's on mine.

I extended the rear EAS sensor arms to get the extra 2" of lift and also fitted 2" longer brake hoses all round. Front EAS sensor arms and ABS sensor wires all left as standard.
I originally fitted front standard Boges all round. Rear shockers actually have less travel than fronts. You have got it the wrong way round.
I ran like that for a couple of years. It was a cheap option but a bit bouncy off road. More recently I have fitted Terrafirma +2" shocks and very happy with them.

It is not possible to change the bladder on Arnott Gen III's. It is secured by a clamp ring top and bottom which is done at the factory.

Another option to consider is to weld up taller spring platforms on the axles to give the extra lift. In the States it seems to be easier to do mods like that. Here in the UK, insurance companies have a fit about mods, particularly suspension modifications. They usually want an engineers report. Most insurance companies won't accept any mods on the vehicle whatsoever.

If you are after more than the extra 2" of lift that Gen III's will give, you also need to be thinking about modifying the propshaft joints as well.

#10 ·
Contact JC British 4x4 in Denver. The owner Jeff has a P38 and has a EAS system with an impressive modification. Give them a ring and they can help with pictures and part numbers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.