RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was changing the thermostat on the 99 4.0 and there looks like there is a sensor of some sort at the bottom of the radiator. It does not have wires connected to it. I looked in the manual and did not find a refernce in the radiator section. Is this used in some trucks and not in others or am I looking at a bit of buggery?

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
I think it could be related to a region specific emission system. We've come accross this before somewhere. Try a search.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
I too remember a post within the past sy 3 months about a gent with a sensor missing from a new radiator or similar. It may be that your radiator was replaced with one from a newer or different model. Since your rig didn't require the sensor they just left it in so you wouldn't leak.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Temperature sensor in the bottom of the radiator is part of the Secondary Air Injection system on later P38 models to reduce cold start emissions. If you don't have the secondary air system, which comprises a filtered air pump supplying air via valves to ports on the cylinder head, then no need to worry about it. Some radiators have a blanking plug for the threaded hole in this location other radiators nothing at all.

My 2002 P38 had the temperature sensor and the secondary air injection system. A unique wiring harness connects to the sensor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool! Thank you for the replys. Doesn't sound like I have a problem here as mine is a 1999 and it doesn't sound like it was OEM then which leads me to believe that this is a replacement radiator.... Which is good but it might even need replacing again as the thermostat mount area is broken away and therefore the thermostat just hangs there. Kept in place pretty good as there are four hoses keeping it in place....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts