RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I went to change the oil on my '04 HSE for first time since I bought it (~2K miles ago), and discovered that the previous owner must have stripped the oil drain bolt. I can't get the drain bolt out no matter how I try to turn it, so it must be stripped pretty good.

I'm assuming heli-coiling it isn't an option since I can't get the old bolt out. It doesn't look like it's all that hard to change the drain pan, and RAVE doesn't make it sound like it's all that big of a job. That being said, I'm worried that I'm missing something since I've seen people throw around like $2K estimates to change it out (not sure if that was an '06+ though).

Does anyone know 1) how much does an oil pan cost? 2) Is it all that hard of a job to change out?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi I did the exact same job about four weeks ago.. Check out your stealer as they worked out cheaper for me than buying online after adding postage! Get a new gasket at the same time. The pan will come with a new washer and drain plug already fitted.

It will take about 30 mins to remove and refit no special tools required except for a decent socket set. I soaked all my bolts (about 20 in all) overnight with wd40 as didn't want anything else to strip!

The stealer service department quoted me $1500 to do the job, saying it was a major repair.. looking at RAVE it does look too easy but it is. When I ordered and collected the part they did insist that it could not be done at home and to bring it too them to do.. when I collected my paint touch up that i order a few days later they asked if it was done told them it took 30 mins! the service guy didnt seem too happy!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet... Thank you very much for the advice!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so I finally got around to swapping out the lower oil pan yesterday. Needless to say, it's a very easy job. My only real tip is that there is a small skid plate that partially obstructs some of the bolts to the lower oil pan. I originally tried working around the skid plate, but then realized how much easier my life would be if I just pulled it off. It's held on with 4 easily accessible screws (5/8" socket if my memory serves correctly). After I had that off it was smooth sailing.

About the only real issue was that the original drain plug was stripped to the point that I could not get it out. That meant that I had to pull 20 of the 21 bolts that hold the lower pan to the main assembly, and then let the oil drain out from the sides of the lower pan. Kind of messy, but it worked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts