Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
308 Posts
I know its a silly question, but did you try to tighten the compression fittings? Or is it cracked behind the threaded part where it goes into the cooler?
I have changed mine, its a pretty straight forward process. Remove old and install new.

· JACK'S GRANDAD
9,310 Posts
job is easy. i pulled the oil cooler to replace the leaking tranny cooler.
IIRC, they use o rings, not a compression fitting per say. so over tightening them will make them leak like a bad fitting anyways.
good luck, and have plenty of brake cleaner at hand, it gets messy down in there :shhh:

martin

· Registered
1996 land rover ranger SE P38
5 Posts
Hey

Plan to do this in the next few weeks as i have an oil leak where the pipe connects, anyone attempted this yet, how difficult are pipes to remove ?

Any advice ?

4.0 v8 96
It's hard am changing means now I had to buy a new line for connecting line over the oil filter, the problem am having now is the line coming from the engine block the line is stuck in the oil cooler and I used pc blaster and it's still not coming loose.

· Registered
1996 land rover ranger SE P38
5 Posts
It's hard am changing means now I had to buy a new line for connecting line over the oil filter, the problem am having now is the line coming from the engine block the line is stuck in the oil cooler and I used pc blaster and it's still not coming loose.
Becareful because you can broke the fittings in the oil cooler. That's where am stuck at now.

· Administrator
5,764 Posts
If changing the cooler, change the pipes too. If just changing the pipes, carefully cut the fittings off where they attach to the cooler as they will be seized (alloy and steel fittings).

· LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
6,075 Posts
As Richard says, they will likely be seized. Mine were and I had to replace the cooler as the galling stripped all the threads off the cooler.

Reactions: WaltNYC

· Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
99 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get a can of Kano aerokroil. We use it in the aviation field. It’s does wonders on loosening aluminum fittings. Spray it and let it soak for some time. Come back and spray it again. Loosen and tighten back and forth and slowly loosen it. As the English say “Works a treat!”

· Administrator
5,764 Posts
I'm aware that aluminium to aluminium can seize but the problem with the oil cooler is that the male thread on the cooler is aluminium but the nuts that secure the pipes are steel. They weld each other together so if you get the steel nut to turn, it comes out with the aluminium thread from the cooler.

Reactions: p38arover

· Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
99 Posts
I am aware of the dissimilar metal corrrosion issue with these fittings. All I know is this method worked for me when I replaced my oil cooler. Didn’t have to replace my lines. Just my experience with these difficult connections.

· Premium Member
1,707 Posts
As above, often the steel nuts on the pipes will take the aluminum threads on the cooler with them when undoing. Turning a simple job into a nightmare...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts