Range Rovers Forum banner

Changing fan coupling without removing radiator?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  aussiebushman 
#1 ·
Had an intermittent overheating problem on my 1991 Highline. Some trips no trouble at all, but on other trips it overheated especially when traveling slowly in "town" conditions. The coolant was bubbling out of the header tank cap so the problem could have been an airlock problem and/or pressure loss

After letting it cool and then refilled, it got me home without further overheating but I can't risk a major breakdown because I live in the bush over 70 km from town so upgrading components became essential. Today I changed the thermostat (pretty poor condition) and the header tank cap (was not holding pressure).

I also purchased a new fan viscous coupling but have not yet fitted the new one. On previous vehicles, removing the cowl and even the radiator was no big deal but on this one, the oil cooler lines must be removed as well as all hoses and the one-piece cowl.

The question is: has anyone successfully changed the fan coupling without removing the radiator and cowl? If so, what is the best sequence please?

#2 ·
With standard setup on mine ( both engine and gearbox oil through radiator towers) you could get the viscous fan off without removing anything at all.
Just undid it, moved coupling slightly to one side of mounting spigot and gently pulled fan out the top. Make sure you go slowly and don't scrape the rad core with bottom fan blades as it tilts to come out.
Failing that, the cowel on mine is fixed with four crosshead screws along the top. Undo these, and lift cowel out with fan, it just sits in slots at the bottom.
Definitely no hoses need to be removed on mine, and rad stays fixed in place.

#4 ·
Thanks

I'll try this as suggested without removing the cowl or radiator. You are right that once the fan has been released. it may lift out complete with the cowl.

I have an old spare cowl where someone else obviously had the same problem so cut a 200 mm gap into the bottom to allow it to lift out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.