RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed belts on '04 RR? How difficult is it? Dealer wants $375, Atlantic British has both belts for $45.00. Trying to determine the frustration level and if it is worth the extra $300.

I have found some instructions on a BMW site, the toughest part seems to be getting the fan out of the way.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Marc

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have done this job on my BMW 540 with the same motor. Looking at the link, it appears to be the exact same procedure as mine was.

I have been able to remove the fan WITHOUT that special tool several times. All I used was a big adjustable wrench and a hammer. Holding the pulley with your left hand, carefully hit the big wrench with the hammer. It may take a few blows, but it will work.

The belt tensioner design is actually ingenious. Once you figure out that you use that 17mm "fake bolt" to apply tension to the main belt, and tighten the other smaller bolt to lock the tensioner, you're in.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the info. Just to be certain, timing is not an issue with changing these belts? The internal chain takes care of this.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
That's correct - there's no timing issues. The belts are just driving the water pump, alternator, power steering pump and the a/c compressor.

Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts