Range Rovers Forum banner

changing down too early.

899 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  briang 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I have a 2000 year vogue, and changing up, it is perfect, smooth as silk. however when I shut off to go down hill, the gearbox changes into 3rd at about 40mph, then changes into 2nd at 30mph, then back up into 3rd straight away. yet it does'nt do this all the time, only occasionally. any ideas anyone.

#3 ·
Hi Brian,

Is this the same p38 with the International Diesel HS 2.8L TGV engine fitted or have you bought another vehicle now?
The diesel you had was not a successful conversion. The engine ECU was not even connected into the p38 system resulting in harsh gear changes.
You fitted a Compushift gearbox controller following Dave Ashcrofts advice and that didn't work either as I recall.

Dave
:naughty:

#4 ·
Hello David,

Yes Its the same one.Dave, On the 18th of November 2016, I took the car to M&D Engineering, And they put a little lever and spring and connected it to the pot, and that fixed the the bad gear changing, or so I thought. Gordonjcp said that it could be the pot.(I don't know else it's called) breaking down, so I bought one made by Bosch,origionally fitted to this car, fitted it over the weekend, Run the car over over the same area as it played up on before, And so far so good, it's as good as it was before. The car has got a repreve, because I tell you what Dave, If it had'nt, I was all for selling it. Buying a car with a miss matched engine is not a good idea, unless you have loades of money to sort out all the issues that changing engines cause. So I will keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Brian.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.