RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yeah, I'm changing from the factory air suspension over to Dunlop replacements purchased from Island 4x4 (I think these are factory equivalent). I'm doing as much reading and researching in advance as I can - but I just thought I'd ask - any practical advice / specific tools that could make this job any easier?

I'll be working with hand tools - outside - and I only have one jack and two jackstands.

So far I know I'll need a long pair of needle nose pliers, a long flat bladed screwdriver, and basic hand tools - anything else that might make it easier?

Thanks in advance,
Justin

·
Registered
361 Posts
I changed all four of mine about six weeks ago and didn´t need any other tools - actually not even as much as you have.

You will need a good supply of patience and perserverence but take your time and it is really quite easy. I changed my rears in less than one hour. The fronts will take longer due to the location of the clips on the top mount but I just pulled the wheel arch plastic gently and was able to get my hand under the edge to reinstall the clips - that part WILL test your patience.

Just make sure that you have which ever end you are working on jacked up high enough that there are no kinks in the bags when you go to inflate them - otherwise they will twist sideways and pop off their top or bottom lips. Install one end and then inflate before moving to the other end - my bage didn´t like having to push themselves up and into alignment at the same time.

Cheers

·
Registered
517 Posts
I needed a pry bar - the rears where well and truly wedged in to the upper mounts, otherwise just used what you have. I did one corner at a time and re-inflated each bag once changed.

In addition to the bags I also replaced all the pins and clips as they were pretty weak after removing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pry bar is probably a good idea as I'm in new england - everything rusts here. I was planning on doing one at a time as well.

From all I've read I'm going to attempt to replace the rears without removing the wheels and remove the fronts without removing the wheels OR the fender liners.

What about re-seating the airline / collet advice? I've read plenty but this seems to be a big trouble spot - any advice on that one?

·
Registered
67 Posts
changed my front outside with hand tools in about 20 minutes. Just make sure you fully seat the airline in the top of the spring past both O rings.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
beer.

A air compressor/tools always helps, but not necessary.

A friend with more beer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts