RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all.
Have searched but found no info on actually replacing a HID bulb.

Mine was pink, then blue, and no dead..

Is this something that I can do or is it best to have a shop do it?

06 rrs with adaptive lights ..

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have a feeling it is not the bulb but the whole freaking thing.. cant even get the ballast aftermarket anywhere...

pricing is nuts.. 1500 bucks..

time for a trip to tiajuana ... keys will be left in the ignition...

Part that really pisses me off is this has been trouble free up until 50200 miles ... I think they design them that way...

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
beachfront said:
have a feeling it is not the bulb but the whole freaking thing.. cant even get the ballast aftermarket anywhere...

pricing is nuts.. 1500 bucks..

time for a trip to tiajuana ... keys will be left in the ignition...

Part that really pisses me off is this has been trouble free up until 50200 miles ... I think they design them that way...
As Umberto suggested try swapping bulbs side to side first. If its the ballast or unit,

Then call some junkyards.

Then Tiajuana.

If you do decide to go the Tiajuana route, you might be able to pay the deductible by parting some stuff out first. I would be interested in the rear passenger interior door trim.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I have already thought about it ..

you will be happy to know that the rear passenger door trim is a package deal and will include my yosemite sam mudflaps and my pine tree air fresher, for another 3 bucks I will throw in my ashtray that fits in a drink holder.

This may seem expensive but I will do free shipping as well.

Paypal only and will not ship to Nigeria.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:
After the last post, went down and swapped light bulbs.. amazingly simple to do BTW.

Now the bulb works in the other side so I just need a new bulb.

Sometimes it pays to read the manual..

mudflaps and airfreshner are still for sale..

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
:lol:

Fyi, you may notice a slight color difference between the old and new and may want to replace both bulbs at the same time as they color shift over time--it may or may not be noticeable to you. Not a big deal with $35 halogen bulbs but these...aye yayyay.

Not sure who makes the OEM bulb but don't be tempted by the cheap Chinese bulbs.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you know the K number of the OEM bulbs?? 8000, 4300, 1500? etc..

Jeff from the forum (custom creations) has a set in stock .. the %$^& dealer wants 390 per bulb but told me they would take 10% off for being a good customer .. what a crock of ****.

Thanks jeff in advance...

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
beachfront said:
Do you know the K number of the OEM bulbs?? 8000, 4300, 1500? etc..

Jeff from the forum (custom creations) has a set in stock .. the %$^& dealer wants 390 per bulb but told me they would take 10% off for being a good customer .. what a crock of Golly Gee Whiz.

Thanks jeff in advance...
Can you imagine being naive about these sorts of things, walking into the dealer and getting the service dept to change the bulb thinking it would be like $75 and then getting a bill for $450??

As an aside. There is a mall near me and about a year or so ago, people were coming out after shopping and finding their HID headlight assemblies were stolen. It got bad enough that the police were staking out the mall/train stations, etc. to catch the perps. I guess what car radios were to the 80's, HID's are to the '00's.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$ 450 would be cheap ... they freaking wanted 375 for the bulb itself..

never made it to jeffs due to weather ..

ordered a set of 2 (phillips) on ebay for 65 bucks deliverd .. saved $840 bucks or so doing it...sad

·
Registered
86 Posts
Did you ever find out what "K" number the stock bulbs actually are? I know that this is the temperature (measured in kelvin) the bulb gets to. There are so many people who buy the cheap looking headlight bulbs that are a really bright blue color and they advertise them as like 6000k, 8000k.... I have a feeling the Range Rover's bulbs are around 4300k-5000k. Not sure though?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
According to the dealer the stock $375.00 bulbs are 4250k .. they are grown on a farm right next to stonehenge and fertilized with manure from mountain goats that only live in TIbet.. that is why they are so expensive ..

The ones I bought are Phillips D2s 85122.
on the other forums that were posting about them (beamer, lexus, etc.) it said they colorshift over time and end up closer to 4800k as they burn in.
They also make a 85122(+) which I read do not colorshift and stay the original 4300k..

I just wanted a name brand that is close to the original color .. $ 65 bucks out the door for the pair..

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
Fyi, you may notice a slight color difference between the old and new and may want to replace both bulbs at the same time as they color shift over time--it may or may not be noticeable to you.
Spoke to a mechanic on this for another car and he said the Xenons will settle in color after a couple of hours after "burn-in" period. Not sure if anyone else has replaced one and let it burn in, and the color is comparative to the older bulb - save you money by not replacing a bulb that works if its not needed

D

·
0 Posts
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
gooseyloosey said:
Fyi, you may notice a slight color difference between the old and new and may want to replace both bulbs at the same time as they color shift over time--it may or may not be noticeable to you.
Spoke to a mechanic on this for another car and he said the Xenons will settle in color after a couple of hours after "burn-in" period. Not sure if anyone else has replaced one and let it burn in, and the color is comparative to the older bulb - save you money by not replacing a bulb that works if its not needed
Hi,
there will always be a difference between a new bulb and a used bulb. All these bulbs have a life span and as they grow closer to their EOL, they start to change color again.

But you can live with just changing one at a time of course.
The burn in period is only when new, they usually turn from a yellowish color to either a white or blueish depending on the K's.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
100% what Darrin said. Burn in time can be ~100hrs though for a new bulb. Its all a matter of how picky you are.

I, on the other hand, like to mix and match colors depending on the season. Christmas I had red and green, & while the Jets were in the playoffs, I had one green and one white one in.

Btw,

How many mice does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Ans: 2, but you got to get them in the bulb first. :?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
for 65 bucks on ebay there is no reason to just change one bulb and hope they match..

I have the new ones in and they are as advertised...

I did order some red ones for valentines and will be getting the green for st patty's...

Now all I need is the lights you put underneath your car so you glow while driving ..
Out

1 - 20 of 27 Posts