RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

firstly a quick thank you for the wealth of information on the fantastic forum.

I had a P38 a few years ago and info here helped me no end.

I've now decided to jump back into the love/hate relationship of Range Rover ownership with a 2003 TD6.

I've looked through your site and around the internet with varying degrees of success so thought I'd ask.

I have had to put a second hand instrument cluster in, the original speedo/temp and rev counter had all been ruined by someone attempting a pixel fix unsuccessfully. The car has 110k miles on clock all backed up by MOT history etc but my new working instrument cluster came from a a 140k mile car.

I've put them in, they all work but it immediately came up with 'air suspension inactive' for some unknown reason and obviously I've just added 30k miles onto the car.

Does anyone know why changing the instrument cluster would bring up the air suspension fault but more importantly, how can I get my genuine mileage onto the instrument cluster?

Dealer only? I won't go to a 'mileage correction' place as I don't condone their usual line of work although in this instance I need it!

Any help or pointers most appreciated

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
The instrument cluster in no way has anything to do with the EAS nor can you change the mileage. As with the P38s, odometer readings will default to the higher mileage whenever a change is made.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi,

Firstly you can change the mileage on the cluster but, you have to take the cluster apart and send the main circuit board to someone who can unsolder the chip responsible for the mileage. Then the chip gets reprogrammed on a special programmer to whatever yours was before the change. A big job easily screwed up.

Secondly yours will probably now have the tamper dot displaying on the cluster next to the trip meter. This is because the VIN on the replacement cluster is different to the VIN held on the ECM and the LCM (I think that’s what you call them). The good news is that you can change the VIN on the cluster using P.A Soft 1.40, it’s a 5 minute job and the tamper dot is gone.

Thirdly and unfortunately because you’ve put a cluster with higher mileage than your original cluster in the car, the mileage will have already been overwritten in the LCM and ECM, as this is where the mileage is also kept to avoid ‘clocking’ the car, or at least to make it very difficult / expensive to carry out. So the upshot is the damage has been done and you now cannot change your mileage back to original, even if you have the chip reprogrammed.

I’ll try to explain - if the new cluster has lower mileage than the original cluster then the new cluster would have its mileage rewritten with the original mileage supplied via the LCM and ECM. But if the new cluster has higher mileage than the original (as in your case) then both the LCM and ECM are overwritten with the higher mileage....and it’s irreversible.

Now down to the suspension. Information is passed from the steering angle sensor to various ecu’s including the instrument cluster. When I swapped my instrument cluster out I had the suspension inactive message, the good news is all you have to do is the steering fully to the right and then fully to the left and that should sort it......

Good luck... Simon

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If you pulled battery power to the car when swapping the cluster you'll have to reset the steering angle sensor by starting the car and turning the steering wheel lock to lock, that should reset everything. If you did that already no clue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all, thanks for the responses.

The cluster was sold as a lower mileage one than my vehicle to avoid such issues (I was aware mileage is kept in multiple places and there was no thought about me clocking it) but alas I can't see me getting anywhere with that complaint to the seller, lucky it doesn't bother me as I will drive it until it no longer works anyway.

As for the suspension issue, it was indeed the steering angle sensor but I had to have it put on a diagnostic machine as I could not get it to rest myself.

Think this has to do with the hand brake sensor as that appears to have stopped working so it wasn't registering as on when trying the reset?

Who knows but thanks for the responses, it's done now.

Until the next thing I guess!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts