RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed & Greased U Joints - New Grinding Noise at Low Speeds?

Hi All,

First, just want to say thanks to everyone up here. I've been lurking for a couple of years and always knew I would be getting a P38. I recently pulled the trigger, and I avoided a lot of problems with other P38s thanks to knowledge I acquired here.

I'm having an issue that's just popped up however. I was having some slight rattling sounds and vibrations when accelerating and going over bumps, but I knew that the previous owner hadn't maintained the U Joints/underbody that well, so I decided to grease/change those before I swapped anything out. I had my indy come over, and amongst other things we greased the rear axle U Joints, changed the two front axle U Joints, and changed the front and rear diff fluids (had to use 80W - 90 as no local stores had enough 75W - 90).

The issue is that the rattling hasn't stopped when going over bumps, although the ride is definitely better. BUT, after driving a short distance to work today, shutting her off, and then going out for lunch, I now here this low "rumbling/rattling" type of vibration when accelerating at low speeds at about 0 - 15 MPH. I'm almost certain that it's NOT the differential, as there's no power/driveability issues, and it sounds as if it's like a metal on metal type of grinding. I'm also 99% that the front two u joints we swapped came pre greased, and even if we didn't grease them enough, I doubt less than 30 miles of driving since putting them on would create this grinding noise.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? We didn't replace the nylon nuts as per the rave, so I'm worried maybe that's it, or perhaps we knocked a brake caliper while we were under there? Outside of these things, I can't really think about what might be causing this new noise, but I'm almost certain that it's got to be something we did on installing the new u joints as this noise wasn't present before (or if it was, it was greatly muted). As an aside, does anyone have any information about what the ORIGINAL issue might have been that causes that rattle, as it clearly wasn't the U Joints?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
17 Posts
Re: Changed & Greased U Joints - New Grinding Noise at Low Speeds?

Check the handbrake shoes for wear and also check the handbrake drum nuts are tight

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

Did you disassemble the sliding joint when replacing the ujs??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Did you disassemble the sliding joint when replacing the ujs??
Not that I know of, and I don't recall seeing that in the RAVE. Granted, this was my first time replacing U joints rather than greasing them, so I followed my indy's lead and learned by example. I can talk to him later and confirm this.

OVA, will do later on today hopefully. This morning when I drove the short distance to work, I didn't hear any of the noise, but yesterday it didn't really start until I had driven a few miles and parked, so I can't be sure.

After doing some more research, does anyone think the noise could be attributed to 1) the driveshaft needing to be rebalanced, 2) the ujoints not being centered correctly when we installed them, or 3) the u joints just needing a few miles driven on them to spread the grease out more evenly?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

OVA, checked both, and they seem to be fine (although I need new pads). Over the past day and a half or so, the noise seems to have subsided or disappeared completely, but as I was just pulling into a driveway I heard it slightly again, almost as if something is rubbing (grinding was probably the wrong noise) the front passenger tire as it rotates.

After crawling under neath her and checking everything else (new u joints look fine, propshaft doesn't appear damaged although I wouldn't really be able to tell if it needs to be rebalanced), I'm going to go back to the Rave to check to see if there are any noise dampening parts that we may have knocked a stray because at this point, I can only assume that it's my Front Diff or some unknown problem that I didn't notice until we coincidentally changed things.

·
Registered
690 Posts

Checked there's nothing rubbing on the tyre?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Checked there's nothing rubbing on the tyre?
There was nothing there, but my brakes need changing ASAP and I've been thinking that it may be my brakes rubbing against the rotor or a caliper gone bad. I haven't really driven her around recently as I haven't gotten around to changing my brakes, but before I stopped driving her, I'm pretty confident that it's probably not the diff as the noise as consistent around 10-15 mph whether I'm accelerating or letting off the gas, leading me to think it definitely is something to do with the tire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I wanted to come back and update this thread for everyone. Turns out, it wasn't my u joints, but my diff. I haven't figured out whether it's just the bearings that need replacing or my entire front diff, but I guess the slight change in weight from me using 80w-90 in the diff rather than 75w-90 was enough to create this slight noise. It's since quieted down and isn't that noticeable, but that explains that.

The original noise I was trying to fix I believe is a result of a shock or strut going bad. I trusted the previous owner who was convinced the ride wasn't on springs, but she is on springs and hence my ride quality is different from air rides. Once my u joints were greased most noise stopped, and now there's a noise from the back left that very clearly sounds like a loose or worn strut/shock, so problem solved there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts