RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had changed my front pads a few months ago and used some ceramic ones but didn't put on a new sensor so I just ordered up pads for all 4 wheels and new sensors. Got everything changed and my brake light is out which is good. But today I was driving it and all of the sudden it started making a very loud sound. I think it's a vibration but I can't feel it so I'm not sure. When I press the brake in just a little while driving, enough for it to go in some but not start braking the car the noise(vibration stops). Any clue as to what it might be? I took the pads off and put them back in thinking I might have just not got them installed correctly but that didn't help.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I removed everything and greased it all. It's just my front passenger side wheel. It takes about a mile for it to start but it's a loud vibrating sound and goes away when I press in the brake. I don't press it in far, enough I can feel it braking some what but not enough to stop the car while I'm driving. I'm at a loss. I've done a lot of brakes on my cars over they years but have never had any problems.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should mention that I'm guessing it's a vibration that's causing the loud sound. I can't feel it though

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Qith it going away as soon as you hit the brake, I would be thinking more towards the ABS/TC side of the system.

What year/model?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Figure it out. There was a little piece of metal from the old clips(the ones that hold the pads). I have no clue how it got in there but I took everything apart, cleaned it really well and then put it back together.

On another note. I've always done my own brakes for the last 20 or so years. I was telling a friend the other day about the noise and he asked if I used a sticky spray on the outside of my pads. I've never used anything sticky on the outside of the pads. I actually put brake grease on the outside. Am I wrong doing it that way. I always thought you wanted grease on any point of contact.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Some use grease, some use sticky. It serves the same basic purpose, to limit any resonating harmonics from the pads little vibrations on the caliper, by either absorbing some of the motion/noise or preventing the motion to begin with. I used to use grease(copper anti-seize) but have since switched to a sticky spray(Permatex Disc Brake Quite) due to LR now shipping a lot of their pads with a sticky layer built into the pad backing plate. If using a sticky compound, make sure you clean all of the brake dust off of the caliper contact points, or else you do yourself no help at all.

·
Registered
703 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts