RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I took my car to get some new 22" alloys this weekend. Since then there is a warning light showing saying "tyre monitor failure"? Have they fitted the alloys\tyres wrong? Or is this normal when you change to non-standard alloys?

Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure... Is there an easy way I can tell?

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
:think: Look at your old wheels and see if the sensors are there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just spoke to wheel-base.co.uk who put the alloys on and they said the wheel sensors aren't compatible with the new alloys so I have to tell LR to turn off the warning for this. Does that sounds right? :think:

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
dance said:
Not sure... Is there an easy way I can tell?
The valve stems of a car fitted with TPMS sensors would be made of metal, if the stems on the new wheels are rubber/plastic the tire shop forgot to swap the sensors (or couldn't.) Also, if the valve sensors were removed and fitted onto the new wheels, then mounted back on the car but on different corners than before, it will take the monitoring system a little bit of driving around to recognize and register the new position of the four sensors. Until then, you may get a fault message on the dash.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
dance said:
Just spoke to wheel-base.co.uk who put the alloys on and they said the wheel sensors aren't compatible with the new alloys so I have to tell LR to turn off the warning for this. Does that sounds right? :think:
Good luck with that. Here in the US the system is now mandatory on new cars, so they would most likely not turn it off for you at the dealership, even if you asked. You'd have to live with the fault message showing... Also, a good shop can usually modify the incompatible rims to accept the sensors (basically they drill a new hole in the alloys for the sensors, hidden away behind the spokes or something like that), if you really wanted them mounted on the new wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts