RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning to have my transmission fluid changed, (2003 HSE, 160k miles) but the indy shop kinda talked me out of it. They were saying, shocking the system with new fluid may cause slippage down the road, and I would be better off leaving it alone. Everything runs perfect right now, I want to do preventative maintenance, but maybe it's better to save the cost a fluid change ($500) for a transmission rebuild down the road since it may be due in the next 40k miles? I bought the car with 140k, no record of transmission fluid change, I'm planning to keep the car for a while. We use it mostly for towing, never had any overheating or transmission issues. Has anyone experienced a failure resulting from a fluid change?

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Load of bull plop. This topic gets pretty well beaten to death a couple times a year. Even ZF calls for service on their "sealed for life" units in severe service. I have been flushing nad changing filters on L322s for years and never had an issue. THe only way these trannys survive is proper maintenance and making sure your cooling system is in top shape.

Atlantic British used to have a service kit for about $150 that included 5 qts fluid, filter and gasket. You might checkinto that unless you plan on a full system flush.

·
Registered
176 Posts
None of these "lifetime" transmissions are truly maintenance-free for the life of the vehicle. Perhaps lifetime simply means for the duration of the OEM warranty. I have my shop inspect various fluids at various intervals and they change it as required.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
354 Posts
I changed mine at 60k, currently at 78k. Ill do it again at 100k.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,378 Posts
Due to the long-term adaptions stored in the transmission controller I personally prefer the drain and refill method (i.e. changing half the fluid), but doing it more frequently, to help guard against both detergent and friction coefficient shock. As RRToadHall has already mentioned, ZF recommend that the fluid is changed at 50,000 to 75,000 miles or 8 years if the vehicle has a ‘hard life’:

The official ZF repair manual for the 5HP24 states that “the oil does not have to be changed until it has been in use for ten years” although clearly, at the time it was written, ZF were unaware of the propensity of the early L322 transmission cooling system to become less and less effective over time due to corrosion in the system causing radiator and oil cooler restriction/blockages. Heat, of course, is the main killer of fluid life due to oxidation.

Phil

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
40 Posts
I just moved from a 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 (75,000 miles) to a 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 (48,000 miles). My 2003 had the blocked radiator and had replaced that as well as the tans cooler. Did the 2006 and newer have the same cooling system corrosion problems as the earlier L322?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Cooling system was much improved on the Jag engines, although there were a few early on with bad trans coolers that allowed coolant into the trans, which isn't good, but if it's made it 48k, this isn't a concern.

If you're concerned, flushing your cooling system is good maintenance if nothing else.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have a 2006 and had the dealer to the tranny flush/pan replace/sleeve fix at 10 years. Also had the reflash.

Car shifts much smoother. Still has the occasional 1-2 or 2-1 jerk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts