RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The TFT instrument panel on my 2014 RRS SC Dynamic needs to be replaced. My car is originally Canadian (my screen is KM) and I live in the US (we use miles). Does anyone have experience changing the screen to a different market? Other than the screen itself, what other programming is required? My dealer is looking into it but I thought I'd ask here in case anyone might be able to shed some light.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
I think you will find the screen does not control which units of measure are shown. The screen is nothing more that a display thus the reason it is configurable. Your market settings control metric display or standard display.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. That is not what I had been told by the dealer (they might be wrong). When I bought the car I expressively asked them to reset the market settings so I could get the screen to display MPH and get HR Radio activated (it's not active in Canada cars--go figure!). And they told me that the screen was market specific and could not be reprogrammed. That if I wanted the display to show MPH I would have to get it replaced. Now, here we are... It needs to be replaced.

Do you know where are the market settings configured? I had asked the folks at Gap if their tool would do it and they said that it can't.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
Very odd. LR TFT screens must be the only ones that are market specific instead of just a blank display waiting for input. It's like saying your plasma TV will only display DVDs and wont display BlueRay unless you purchase a different model. :lol:

Sadly purchasing a new display cluster might mean going through the programming of mileage shown and pairing with where else it is stored. Which of course requires filling out the odometer replacement paperwork to file with your state licensing agency. If this is required this will be reported to CarFax as an odometer change. We used to see this on all digital odometers for every car that was shipped in from Canada and we purchased at auction or took in on trade.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I hear you! I would have thought the same thing. At some point I thought that maybe the two circles are hard coded into the system. But that would make no sense. As you said, the screen is just a display projecting whatever content its fed.

Good thinking on the mileage paperwork! I am going to call the dealer and ask that question. That's a HUGE hit to the value of the vehicle. I'll circle back to you when I get an answer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey I just spoke with the dealer's service director. The mileage is stored on a number of modules throughout the car. The screen pulls the info from there and displays it. No report to Carfax or anything like it. -- So... that leads me to think you might be right on the idea that the screen is not market specific. My next step is I am going to call the original selling dealer in Canada and get a part number for the screen there. Then I'm gonna compare it with the US part number and see what happens. I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RRToadHall, I got an answer from the dealer today. The "instrument pack" as the screen is officially called is tied to the vehicle's VIN number. When the dealer requests the part number, because it goes by VIN, there is no option to specify a market. So, we can safely conclude what you said as correct; indeed the screen is not market-specific. Nonetheless, it can't be reprogrammed. The vehicle is programmed at the factory to use metric or imperial system depending on the country of destination. That programming runs everything that requires measurements in the vehicle such as, distance, gasoline levels, fluid levels, distance to empty, etc. and it cannot be overwritten. So, I'm out of luck on this one.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
585 Posts
I'm not so sure. On my 2013 RRSC, I can change the units. I go to 'Main menu' , 'trip computer' , 'change units'. I am able to use either imperial or metric units of measurement.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi stemikel, indeed. I can do the same on mine. But changing the units doesn't change the speedometer, which is what I really wanted to modify. There is an option for a small speedometer on the bottom right of the screen, but the main one remains in KPH. My car is still in the shop and I can't remember if changing the units changes gas levels, fluid levels, etc. I'll check when I get the car back next week.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
585 Posts
Baxter,

I see what you mean. I was able to change my display to km and liters. The main speedometer remained as MPH and a small speedo opened and displayed my velocity in kph. That's crazy that the main unit is not configurable.

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts