Range Rovers Forum banner

Change Fuel filter on TD6 model.

39K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  Disco5Td6 
#1 ·
Hello.

Has anybody changed fuel filter on TD6 model ? The filter cost $134 from my local dealer's parts department, but to change it they charge $550 (including the filter) .
When I asked my local mechanic - he said it may require special procedure and software to do it, but he's not sure.
Can anybody share your experience if you have one ?

Thank you.

#2 ·
Please add your Rover's info to your signature as requested in the guideline. We would need to know what year so someone can look it up for you. That ensures proper information for your year as anything with software or special procedures often changes.

#5 ·
I was going to ask the same question and found this thread but no other responses. Has anyone done a fuel filter change yet on a td6? Do you have any pics or DIY instructions?Thanks2017 RR Td6 HSE
Register with Topix. https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/vehicle/lookupForm.Subscriptions are available for day, week, month, annual access and is inexpensive compared to most other OEM’s.The fuel system in the newer diesels requires careful attention to prevent damage from air entering the system (this is why the usable fuel volume is limited).

#6 ·
I have 2016 TD6 - bought it in July of 17.

Have put 17k miles since picking it up. Currently it’s in for the annual service - low and behold, my fuel filter report came back as “needs immediate attention”.

Spoke to my Service Advisor - based on what he said it needs to be a changed every year to 18months. The fuel filter not only filters debris, but it also ensures the required 1200psi flow into the injectors. Any psi lower than 900 will damage the engine.

He also added the high psi requirement and the clean filter keep the Diesel engine noise down.

I have heard people paying north of 450$ for the replacement - I am being charged 259$ Installed.

#7 ·
Easy procedure - call Erik at lucky8llc.com Lucky 8. He can sell you the filter alone (you move the plastic housing over to the new filter) or complete filter or OE filter so much cheaper than you have quoted here. Once you get it - snap a picture of your hoses, then disconnect all of the from the top inlets - some have tabs to hold others have a plastic guide that you remove. Pull the filter up - its held by three tabs and there are three heyholes that hold the housing on. Unplug the sensor at thebottom of the filter and unscrew the drain apparatus and hose. Then the filter is free to remove. Now, you need a tool lol. I believe its a phillips screwdriver and move the plastic clamp on the filter over to the new one. Reverse the procedure until you get to putting the hosesback on. Fill the filter with clean diesel. Put the other hoses back on as you found them (they all are a bit different but you can use your picture). Crank your Rover and feel good about saving 400$ or so. Ive done this four times all worked the same but I have to say im not responsible for you working on your Rover ...

#10 ·
Bumping this thread because I'm doing this myself soon and have a question that I haven't seen addressed!

The maintenance schedule for the TD6 mentions "draining the fuel filter sedimentor." Is this integrated into the fuel filter itself? So in other words, I wouldn't need to drain the sedimentor since I'm replacing the filter entirely?

Thanks in advance!

#14 ·
I ended up paying my dealer to change this filter. I made the deal for $200 parts and labor. I called several dealers in my area and their prices were from $200 to $600 for this procedure. I still don't understand how they come up with the price :(

#15 ·
I have found ZERO information regarding this topic other than right here in this forum.
I bought the part and pretty much used the instructions above, was nervous about it but decided to go for it. Filter swap went really well. Paid $92 shipped for branded part on Amazon.
After hooking all for hoses back, I "primed" the filter by pushing the ignition button a few times without putting my foot on the brake. Then I unhooked one of the hoses and used a small bottle to "top off" the filter. It was nearly full from the priming. The car started and I had no issues, I have since completed a 1000 mile weekend road trip without any issues. You can do it!

Can anyone tell me what the service interval/replacement for the diesel filter is supposed to be? I plan on doing all my own service from now on, not sure if it has been done prior to now or now.

edit, sorry, my model is L494 but seems like the info above is identical for mine

2016 RRS td6 HSE

#33 ·
Congratulations on your courage! According to one-page maintenance check sheet, it depends on under what condition you drive your vehicle and the sulphur content of diesel fuel you use. If you are willing to replace fuel filter every 16,000 miles or 12 months In moderate driving conditions, your can forget about draining fuel sediments. FYI I will include the sheet as an attached file.

Attachments

#16 ·
Sorry I didn't update this, but I did the TD6 fuel filter myself and it was actually pretty easy. The only part that took a minute to figure out was the screw part on the bottom. All the lines are quick disconnect.

I didn't manually prime the filter. I only turned the power on/off a few times before fully starting it. I probably have 10k miles since then and all is good (y)

#19 ·
Update,

Really simple process...

Take a picture of the top and bottom lines(for reference later)
The 4 top lines are all push tabs, and the yellow clip just slides backwards.
Have some rags surrounding the filter to catch the spilled diesel.

In the bottom, look at the picture you took, there is a grey tab on that wire harness, just push in and pull down, then grab a hold of that round plastic piece and pull down snuggly.. you can leave the rubber hose attached.

Then you will see a mount that is holding three fuel filter in place, has 3 tabs, but only 1 needs to be pushed, then just full straight up..

Once out, empty the fuel that's in the old filter and bring the old filter to your work bench next to your new filter, take a picture and note where the line Mark's are and just take of the bracket, it's a hex type bit.
Then unscrew the bottom sensor out of the old filter and install into new filter, once again, make sure mark lines up.
Top off new filter with fresh diesel,

Installation is the exact opposite, top is very easy, you may cus a little trying to get the bottom plastic back on.

Hope this helps...

#23 ·
Update,

Really simple process...

Take a picture of the top and bottom lines(for reference later)
The 4 top lines are all push tabs, and the yellow clip just slides backwards.
Have some rags surrounding the filter to catch the spilled diesel.

In the bottom, look at the picture you took, there is a grey tab on that wire harness, just push in and pull down, then grab a hold of that round plastic piece and pull down snuggly.. you can leave the rubber hose attached.

Then you will see a mount that is holding three fuel filter in place, has 3 tabs, but only 1 needs to be pushed, then just full straight up..

Once out, empty the fuel that's in the old filter and bring the old filter to your work bench next to your new filter, take a picture and note where the line Mark's are and just take of the bracket, it's a hex type bit.
Then unscrew the bottom sensor out of the old filter and install into new filter, once again, make sure mark lines up.
Top off new filter with fresh diesel,

Installation is the exact opposite, top is very easy, you may cus a little trying to get the bottom plastic back on.

Hope this helps...
I am new to the forum and just picked up a 2020 Discovery SE Td6 for my Mother. It needs its first service and I may be looking to do the fuel filter myself. The setup seems to be identical to the Range Rovers.

Looking at the Land Rover guide it appears that the round plastic piece with the tube attached is clipped on to the sensor that screws into the filter...is this the case?

Some folks seem to be unscrewing the filter while leaving it in place (see YouTube video I found below) and others, as you suggest and as the Russian video suggest, unclip it. I'd prefer to do that, as it seems to be cleaner (no diesel all over the place), but I am unsure on how the circular piece detaches from the sensor.

Appreciate any input. Thx in advance!

#20 ·
#24 · (Edited)
So, I just did this along with some other first service items (cabin air filter and DEF) on my 2020 Discovery Td6. I have a 5 oil change package with local dealer for $759 that includes all other fluid top offs, checks and tire rotation...seemed like a good value there.

Anyway, It is basically as said. Unplug the top connectors, push in the bracket tab and then pull up a bit. At this time, disconnect the sensor plug and remove the circular sensor/water separator surround. The sensor plug has a metal clip that you push in to release. You also need to push it in to plug it back in.

The most difficult part of the whole thing, in my opinion, is getting the circular piece to clip back on to the bottom. It fits on to the sensor housing with it's own clips, but its a tight space and difficult to align. A trick is that the little cylindrical water separator drain aligns with the water separator drain tube coming out of the bottom of the circular collection dish. This is directly opposite the metal push clip. The rest of it - removing and replacing the lines and aligning the filter are very straightforward.

As for the filter, I ordered the Delphi/LR part on Amazon and they shipped me the Mahle one. I was a little annoyed at this but then started poking around and found this video on YouTube. He basically takes apart 4 filters and determines, at least in his opinion, that the Mahle is superior. Given that Mahle is a German company, this doesn't surprise me. Note the Mahle filter for our cars is manufactured in Bulgaria.

I used the above posts/videos and the attached PDF from Land Rover. Fuel filter starts around page 38.

I also created my own video, but the angle isn't great, so I've tried to add static pics with instruction...

Attachments

#28 ·
I have a 2016 TD6 Sport that I recently bought with 31K miles and a fresh oil change. I discovered the oil service interval comes on waaaay sooner than it should, in my case after 5 months and under 4K miles since the oil was last changed. The "service due" message is triggered when the miles left until the next oil change hits around 500. Had the oil analyzed and it was in great shape. Seems there is a software fix for this but I haven't had it done yet. Pretty easy for you to check it a few times each month to see if you're having a similar issue. I also took a picture with my cell phone each time I checked it so I could keep track.

#30 ·
One note of CAUTION when replacing the fuel filter on your diesel... well, make that TWO notes:

1. after disconnecting the electrical connector at the bottom of the filter, the plug left attached to the bottom twists off, you don't pry it off. It's close to a miracle that I figured that out before breaking something - and it twists off easily ;-)

2. The air intake for the cabin sits near the fuel filter, and I figured I'd cover it "just to be safe" when I was removing the filter. When I was disconnecting the lines the filter "burped" some diesel up and sure as H it went right in to the air intake. Guess I'll be running for a bit with the fan on high :-(. The moral of the story is to cover the air intake with something BEFORE doing anything else.

It's actually a pretty easy change, but IMO there's no reason to locate it where they did. Why not put it where it's readily accessible, especially as it's something to be replaced regularly?

#34 ·
I think this depends on what market you're in and the level of sediments in the fuel. I remember seeing somewhere the maintenance in the Canadian market being different than the US in that the fuel filter element with the separator was replaced at service, whereas in the US it is not. Found that interesting.

#36 ·
Did anyone have a fuel leak after you replaced the filter?

I did mine a week ago, pretty straight forward. However, I noticed that a single drop of fuel gets down on the floor when car sits overnight. After driving the car I look under car every time and there are no drops ever. Looks like it takes time for a drop to accumulate.

When I changed the filter some fuel spilled like it does for everyone so I am thinking that maybe it pooled a little somewhere. Top of filter and all fuel lines on top are dry. The bottom of filter is also dry. I might have to take the wheel and wheel arches off and inspect everything. The cloth like material on he back side of wheel got fuel on it and during change so I hope that is just making it’s way down but I wanted to see if anyone experienced this.

#37 ·
I haven't, but I'm guessing it's just the fuel that spills from changing it. I have a deal from dealer where I get 5 oil changes for $750, which I gladly sign up for, however, my biggest issue has been getting them not to touch the fuel filter. Once they replaced it despite explicit instructions not to. When I changed it after that, I noticed the little metal spring clip on the sensor that plugs into the bottom was completely broken off. Of course I can't prove that they did it and the plug stays in place fine, but super annoying. Then, recently I went to change it and there was fuel all over the top with one of the push tabs completely snapped off. They are replacing that line right now at a discount and no labor because I told them it was absurd. Clearly the techs just start to go through the protocol and then don't know what they're doing and break things. Going forward there's going to be a paper note taped on top telling them not to touch. Because I'm under warranty, I have a bin full of used fuel filters so they can't try to pull anything if the engine goes.