RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Has anybody changed fuel filter on TD6 model ? The filter cost $134 from my local dealer's parts department, but to change it they charge $550 (including the filter) .
When I asked my local mechanic - he said it may require special procedure and software to do it, but he's not sure.
Can anybody share your experience if you have one ?

Thank you.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,685 Posts
Please add your Rover's info to your signature as requested in the guideline. We would need to know what year so someone can look it up for you. That ensures proper information for your year as anything with software or special procedures often changes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please add your Rover's info to your signature as requested in the guideline. We would need to know what year so someone can look it up for you. That ensures proper information for your year as anything with software or special procedures often changes.
Thank you. It's done. 2016 RR TD6.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was going to ask the same question and found this thread but no other responses. Has anyone done a fuel filter change yet on a td6? Do you have any pics or DIY instructions?

Thanks
2017 RR Td6 HSE

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was going to ask the same question and found this thread but no other responses. Has anyone done a fuel filter change yet on a td6? Do you have any pics or DIY instructions?Thanks2017 RR Td6 HSE
Register with Topix. https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/vehicle/lookupForm.Subscriptions are available for day, week, month, annual access and is inexpensive compared to most other OEM’s.The fuel system in the newer diesels requires careful attention to prevent damage from air entering the system (this is why the usable fuel volume is limited).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2016 TD6 - bought it in July of 17.

Have put 17k miles since picking it up. Currently it’s in for the annual service - low and behold, my fuel filter report came back as “needs immediate attention”.

Spoke to my Service Advisor - based on what he said it needs to be a changed every year to 18months. The fuel filter not only filters debris, but it also ensures the required 1200psi flow into the injectors. Any psi lower than 900 will damage the engine.

He also added the high psi requirement and the clean filter keep the Diesel engine noise down.

I have heard people paying north of 450$ for the replacement - I am being charged 259$ Installed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Easy procedure - call Erik at lucky8llc.com Lucky 8. He can sell you the filter alone (you move the plastic housing over to the new filter) or complete filter or OE filter so much cheaper than you have quoted here. Once you get it - snap a picture of your hoses, then disconnect all of the from the top inlets - some have tabs to hold others have a plastic guide that you remove. Pull the filter up - its held by three tabs and there are three heyholes that hold the housing on. Unplug the sensor at thebottom of the filter and unscrew the drain apparatus and hose. Then the filter is free to remove. Now, you need a tool lol. I believe its a phillips screwdriver and move the plastic clamp on the filter over to the new one. Reverse the procedure until you get to putting the hosesback on. Fill the filter with clean diesel. Put the other hoses back on as you found them (they all are a bit different but you can use your picture). Crank your Rover and feel good about saving 400$ or so. Ive done this four times all worked the same but I have to say im not responsible for you working on your Rover ...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Easy procedure - call Erik at lucky8llc.com Lucky 8. He can sell you the filter alone (you move the plastic housing over to the new filter) or complete filter or OE filter so much cheaper than you have quoted here. Once you get it - snap a picture of your hoses, then disconnect all of the from the top inlets - some have tabs to hold others have a plastic guide that you remove. Pull the filter up - its held by three tabs and there are three heyholes that hold the housing on. Unplug the sensor at thebottom of the filter and unscrew the drain apparatus and hose. Then the filter is free to remove. Now, you need a tool lol. I believe its a phillips screwdriver and move the plastic clamp on the filter over to the new one. Reverse the procedure until you get to putting the hosesback on. Fill the filter with clean diesel. Put the other hoses back on as you found them (they all are a bit different but you can use your picture). Crank your Rover and feel good about saving 400$ or so. Ive done this four times all worked the same but I have to say im not responsible for you working on your Rover ...
Thank you for these instructions. Can you tell me where this filter located ? It seems like easy DYI as long as you know where it is :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bumping this thread because I'm doing this myself soon and have a question that I haven't seen addressed!

The maintenance schedule for the TD6 mentions "draining the fuel filter sedimentor." Is this integrated into the fuel filter itself? So in other words, I wouldn't need to drain the sedimentor since I'm replacing the filter entirely?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13 Posts

how did you remove the filter from the housing thats holding it ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bumping this thread because I'm doing this myself soon and have a question that I haven't seen addressed!

The maintenance schedule for the TD6 mentions "draining the fuel filter sedimentor." Is this integrated into the fuel filter itself? So in other words, I wouldn't need to drain the sedimentor since I'm replacing the filter entirely?

Thanks in advance!

did you do the change ? if yes, pls share what to wATCH OUT FOR

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up paying my dealer to change this filter. I made the deal for $200 parts and labor. I called several dealers in my area and their prices were from $200 to $600 for this procedure. I still don't understand how they come up with the price :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have found ZERO information regarding this topic other than right here in this forum.
I bought the part and pretty much used the instructions above, was nervous about it but decided to go for it. Filter swap went really well. Paid $92 shipped for branded part on Amazon.
After hooking all for hoses back, I "primed" the filter by pushing the ignition button a few times without putting my foot on the brake. Then I unhooked one of the hoses and used a small bottle to "top off" the filter. It was nearly full from the priming. The car started and I had no issues, I have since completed a 1000 mile weekend road trip without any issues. You can do it!

Can anyone tell me what the service interval/replacement for the diesel filter is supposed to be? I plan on doing all my own service from now on, not sure if it has been done prior to now or now.

edit, sorry, my model is L494 but seems like the info above is identical for mine

2016 RRS td6 HSE

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry I didn't update this, but I did the TD6 fuel filter myself and it was actually pretty easy. The only part that took a minute to figure out was the screw part on the bottom. All the lines are quick disconnect.

I didn't manually prime the filter. I only turned the power on/off a few times before fully starting it. I probably have 10k miles since then and all is good (y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
When your disconnecting the sensor, do you just push that plastic piece down, is It just connected to the round bottom plastic piece? Does the drain need to be turned or does that bottom section just come completely out? Thank you

2016 range rover sport td6

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry I didn't update this, but I did the TD6 fuel filter myself and it was actually pretty easy. The only part that took a minute to figure out was the screw part on the bottom. All the lines are quick disconnect.

I didn't manually prime the filter. I only turned the power on/off a few times before fully starting it. I probably have 10k miles since then and all is good (y)
Can you please explain the steps you took to unscrew the bottom part?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts