RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone i just got the car in my driveway and pulled the pan off and found tensioner pieces and small washers that look like they belong
on the tensioners in my oil pan so i know something let go.
the chains and tensioners where done less than 8k ago. my question is if the chain jumped a tooth or 2 would it damage the motor
i really dont to put another motor this one only has 89k

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
They are an interference engine, so yes it's possible

Martin

·
Registered
865 Posts
PHP:
How was the engine running and why did you pull the pan? You don't have to pull the pan to replace the tensioner and guides...so the plastic may be left over from the previous guide failure. A little history will help!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
From his first post.....Which I will delete.

hey guys i just picked up a 2005 hse with under 100k but it has some eng issues. the guy that i picked it up from put over 12k in the car and maintained it.
but he cant get it to run on all 8 cyl. he said he is having a issue with #7 cyl.
he just did all tensioners,chain guides about 8k ago and ran fine. but now he cant get it to run on all 8.
and he is done sinking anymore money into the car so i got it cheap.
i am a toyota guy with 20 years in the auto bussiness and do alot of my own work but the hse is my first.
i have owned and worked on all my other cars like
79 928 porsche stick
97 750il bmw v12
01 s500 benz
i havent drove it or started it but will have the car today in my drivway and plan to diag the issue with the help of some bmw
techs. is there anything common on these trucks that i should look at first

thanks guys
john

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the car was not running when i purchased it. the previous owner told he started the car one morning and it started hesitating and by the time
he got to work he said it felt like it was running on 4 cyl and would back fire when he gave it gas.
i drained the oil and it looked like it hasent been changed in a while. there was a lot of pieces of chain material in the oil pump screen.
i also found the lower tensioner on the car broken

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the previous owner said it started running rough and by the time he got to work it felt like it was running on 4 cyl.
when he got to work he said it would back fire when he gave it some gas.
the oil is really dirty and it looked like there was some moisture in the oil in the pan but the oil in the filter was clean
i think it jumped a tooth ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guys i pulled the covers and the chain guides look ok but im finding alot of moisture in the valve cover. its not mixed with the oil but theres water residue.
how does that happen is there something clogged

1 - 8 of 8 Posts