RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could somebody give me some advice, or point me to some information that would help me with my central-locking?

My central-locking has never worked, although I do have actuators in all the doors. I had always been a little puzzled by a wiring harness that hangs down near the passenger foot well, and when I was going through my box of ‘spare’ parts, I came across a ‘Central Locking Control Module) or something like that. Seems that this fits just perfectly into this harness.

There is power to the module, and no obvious signs of rot on any of the solder. The module clicks quietly when I plug it in. But still no central locking. The fact that this module was disconnected by a previous owner, may indicate that there was a problem, but I don’t know how to diagnose.

So, my problem is I have no idea where to start with this, if anybody could give me some tips to get me started, I’d be grateful.
Thanks,
James

·
Registered
23 Posts
James,
I never had the original remote for my central locking system.
I also could not use the drivers key lock from the outside.
After a few months of unlocking from the passenger side that side broke also, fortunately while unlocked.

After pricing the remote I decided to by an aftermarket by bulldog for about $40 US and followed their directions and now have remote locking on all doors again. :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
94 Posts
+1 for the aftermarket setup - cheap and easy to install.

You may even be able to use your existing actuators with the new controller, they just use a simple 12v positive/negative arrangement. See if you can identify which wires go where and try them. This would save you removing door trims etc if the actuators work and it's just the controller that's faulty. My actuators were all buggered anyway so I replaced the lot, using much of the existing wiring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My central locking box thing is under the cubby box between seats.I had problems with mine trying to lock the doors all the time even when they were locked , so I opened the box sprayed some electrical cleaning spray on it to get rid of some yellowish crud stuck it back in and all sweet again

·
Registered
134 Posts
james said:
Could somebody give me some advice, or point me to some information that would help me with my central-locking?

My central-locking has never worked, although I do have actuators in all the doors. I had always been a little puzzled by a wiring harness that hangs down near the passenger foot well, and when I was going through my box of ‘spare’ parts, I came across a ‘Central Locking Control Module) or something like that. Seems that this fits just perfectly into this harness.

There is power to the module, and no obvious signs of rot on any of the solder. The module clicks quietly when I plug it in. But still no central locking. The fact that this module was disconnected by a previous owner, may indicate that there was a problem, but I don’t know how to diagnose.

So, my problem is I have no idea where to start with this, if anybody could give me some tips to get me started, I’d be grateful.
Thanks,
James
I am not sure what the exact name of the switch type is but it has a contact type arrangement inside. What I did was move it about at an angle and it worked again. I then taped it up at this angle and has worked ever since. Worth a try.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
pretty simple, buy a cheap aftermarket kit with remotes, and wire it in where the "spider" was - thats the alarm/central locking unit which goes up front, on my RHD car its up on the firewall infront of the passenger seat. mines a softdash but I think the 89/3.9L onwards were the same.

Shouldn't be hard, look up the wiring in rave, get the colour codes and splice in the new unit, really only need to worry about 12v feed, and then all the actuators should be hooked up by 2 wires and then 2 sense wires from the two front doors. get your front locks fixed properly, and away you go.

Post back if your stuck and will see if we can look up the wiring for you and post a picture or two.

EDIT: ohh and if its like the 3 or 4 I have worked on there will be one line in there which is either earthed or set to 12v and that's the imobiliser - don't touch it ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts