RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Catalytic converter efficiency code. Exhaust leak, manifold gaskets, O2 sensors, converter itself, take a close look and see if exhaust is escaping somewhere.
-m

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
517 Posts
Use the search option on this forum. You should find it is most likely a CAT problem

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
926 Posts
It is P0420. Catalytic converter below efficiency. I had this code as well, and since I was under the 8 year, 120,000km, warranty threshold, the LR dealer replaced it free of charge. I had no previous dealings with this dealer. The cats are guaranteed longer than other parts of the vehicle by Land Rover.
P0420 I believe is bank 1 (left bank). My code was P0430 which is the same thing for bank 2. That was 8 months ago and so far no return code. For some info, you can google P0420, but after much research at the time, it was the cat at fault.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I reset the cel and put cataclean in the gas tank. But now the cel came back on after a gassed back up.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
There is nothing but low cat efficiency that can cause this(or P0430) code. A bad O2 sensor, or anything else will give different faults, but only low cat efficiency will cause these.

That said, there are some things that can cause cat efficiency to be low, such as over fueling(including ignition misfires and incomplete combustion) These issues will almost always give separate faults themselves, however I have seen a few times where incomplete combustion will cause the cats to not be fully efficient, before it reaches the threshold of throwing a lean code.

I would run through the tank of fuel you have in there now, and one more. Then clear the code again, and if it returns(without others as well) you're going to need a new cat.

Last time I checked, cats for these trucks were not as pricey as they are for some others(mainly the L322) but still not cheap by any means. I don't suggest going with anything that is a cut and weld in application, and as far as direct fit ones, you really do get what you pay for on this. The cheaper ones may be ceramic core, not precious metals. If nothing else, do some research before pulling the trigger on one.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I reset the cel and put cataclean in the gas tank. But now the cel came back on after a gassed back up.
I tried Cataclean and all that stuff. Didn't work. Dave is correct. If something else is causing the cat inefficiency it will throw its own code. From what I read on the subject, the computer is comparing readings between the pre cat O2 sensor and the post cat O2 sensor. If the readings are not within range it throws the code.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
741 Posts
I had this same code pop up last month. I cleared the CEL, changed the PCV valve (not sure if it had anything to do it with it), full tank of new gas, and it hasn't shown up again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts