RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a CB radio installed in their RRS? I am looking for a stealthy install for a CB radio in my 2006 RRS. My wife does not want anymore off road looking stuff on the vehicle. The rock rails have provided her with a step so she was ok with them but I think the CB radio will really be a fashion fopaux for her self image when she goes to the lunch with the girlfriends. I have looked at the Cobra 75 WX ST and the MIDLAND 75-822. Both look like they could be easily removed when not in use. The antenna would have to be removable as well. Please let me know your thoughts. If you have a stealthy install I would love to see pics.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
260 Posts
You mean your wife would have a problem with your interior starting to look like this....

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Breaker 1-9, goosey to triple-e, many try but....

But seriously, do those portable hand-held CB's(the walkie-talkie style) not work well--seems that would be the solution vs a more permanent mount?

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Bahaha.

Yeah, if you mean the CB walkie-talkie (not FRS), I've used that before and it worked great. Pretty sure the only thing is that the range is less, but I didn't have any problems using one.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
TripleE said:
Bahaha.

Yeah, if you mean the CB walkie-talkie (not FRS), I've used that before and it worked great. Pretty sure the only thing is that the range is less, but I didn't have any problems using one.
Yeah those. I believe legally all CB's can't be over a certain wattage so I dunno maybe the antenna is the limiting factor...but then again I thought CB's went out of favor after the 1970's.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
i use a portable with a 2' rooftop magnet antenna mount. yes it's annoying with all the wires about, esp with kids in the back. and yes it's annoying when tree branches knock the antenna over. range is definitely a limiting factor. i've found you only have contact with those you have line of sight with. you may hear chatter from folks further away, but communicating is spotty.

a few guys in NCLR have gone the cobra route. it's convenient to be able to mount the control unit in a hidden spot and run the cord to the hand unit when in use.

you bring up a good point with the antenna tho. most of the disco guys will mount on their spare tire so they've got it easy. no such luck with the RRS. nathan woods had a nice setup on his LR3. i was following the current owner of his old LR3 wheeling a few months back and noticed it's a mounting bracket that comes out underneath one of the brake lights. i took 2 mins to consider a similar approach for the RRS, but the differences in bumper design won't allow the antenna to be secured to the bracket and i'm not sure if my rear lamp guards will be in the way. i'm assuming you don't want to drill into your bumper :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I need to track down "PJPR01" and check out how he mounted his Cobra handheld. I was thinking that somehow a good installer might be able to use the existing roof penetration for the stock antenna and add a bracket there. I wonder what is inside the black GPS/satelite and radio antenna on the roof. is it solid or hollow? Has anyone take it apart or had it off?

I love the co-pit photos definately what I am trying to avoid.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I know it's not a sport but I have done the following:
I have an Intek 520. Being portable it doesn't
need hardwiring and I just use the lighter socket. I have mounted a proper
ariel mount on the driver's side rear quarter panel. The wire is pulled through
the car under the carpets and comes up through the ashtray, that way when
not in use everthing is hidden away. When I use the radio I simply use it's
belt clip and clip it onto the cointray.

I have pictures at home, and could post some to give inspiration. here are some.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts