RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a CB in my P38... The antenna will be up front (hood or front bumper). Where's the best place do drill a hole in the firewall for the antenna/cb wiring? Or, is there a vacant hole that I can use? The truck is 100% original so I don't want mess up anything too much. :)

Thanks for your help! `)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi,
I couldn't find a way through either. I needed to make my lighter socket a permanent 12v live and ended up running the fused wire from the battery under the edge of the bonnet and through the door shut. Far from ideal.
This did leave me with the key live from the lighter socket to run the CB. I was lucky in that the car had been fitted with an early mobile phone so there was a redundant antenna mount in the roof, a 2' center loaded has been fitted there and looks more of a business 2-way rather than CB. As for the radio, there aren't any obvious places, I tried several different set ups and nothing really looked right but then in a spat of 'try anything once', this is how it ended up and 18 months later it's still there...!

Photo0622.jpg

Photo0620.jpg

Photo0623.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Although not a CB (but an amateur radio), I mounted the head of my radio just in front of my driver side vent. The radio box I have mounted in the center cubby area right under the cup holders. From there I have power ran to it through a little hole, and also have the antenna ran out of it to the back of the vehicle. The antenna is on a mount that attaches right in the lip of the upper tail gate hatch. Choose here because I'd rather have it swing up and out of the way rather than down and become a sword to walk into. 6 years later, it is still there with no issues. Have taken the antenna off a few times to make sure there isn't any corrosion building. Best of luck!

IMG_20130621_212501.jpg IMG_20130621_212622.jpg 20170514_191802.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I love the way you have mounted the antenna. I'll probably do the same... but I still have to drill a hole somewhere in the firewall to get 12v from the battery.

My plan is to get a big wire (from battery) inside the cab with a BlueSea fuse block.

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
With a stiff wire you can get another cable through the existing grommet where the main wiring loom goes through under the coolant reservoir.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have run wires for my electric trailer brakes and the UHF radio through the grommet under the coolant bottle.

I mounted I high gain short aerial off the bonnet close panel. I obtained a slightly offset step basically flat bracket from a local accessory shop that cleared the bonnet (hood for American friends). It was made for mounting off a particular roof rack. I positioned if on the passenger side close to the edge.

Radio works fine there, on a recent run outback I was communicating 30km forward and rear no problem.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts