Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Range Rover Sport naturally aspirated

Ok, so I'm a Land Rover newbie, but a pretty proficient wrench. I had a charging issue with the vehicle. Regulator went out, and was charging high at 15v+. I replaced the alternator, and the the problem resolved itself. Car ran fine, and no issues. Fast forward 3 days, and the car dies on me while driving. While still rolling, I put it in neutral and restarted. It went for another 30 yards and died for the last time. Towed her to the house, and put the battery on a charger and began to troubleshoot.

Electronics power on, but will not even attempt to send power to the starter. Shows no faults on the dash. When I plug my scanner in, I notice that I can communicate with the ECM and Brakes, but I am completely unable to communicate with the TCM. I'm really at a loss here. The only thing I can guess is that I killed the TCM by overcharging it and it somehow keeps me from even starting the motor.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover 4.2 SC V8
161 Posts
As a 'collector' of sorts of used modules I would caution you on jumping straight to the module. Loss of comms can be a cause of another component dragging the network down. What does your scanner give you for codes? Once you read/record them clear them and see what comes back. Then we can dig into the meat of this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, no codes. I just can't communicate with the TCM. In other applications, 15 volts is more than enough to fry electronics, so I was just assuming....
I'm open to any help you Gan give though!

·
Registered
161 Posts
What scanner are you using?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Maybe you are right? I would start looking into the CAN to see what is going on, do you have an oscilloscope? I would suggest going through the ECM data and see if anything is off, like I said previously, if an out of range value is being transmitted along the CAN it may cause a module or multiple to drop offline.

·
Registered
161 Posts
See Below from the workshop manual.
Note your ignition is controlled by the ECM and NOT the TCM.
The TCM if a major fault occurs will enter 'default' mode. Note the TCM receives information from the ECM via the CAN.
Read below and you should see that the ECM is likely the culprit. Because you can turn the key I would assume the transponder in the key and ignition are working and would be turning attention to the immobilizer....
...I dug into it some more and attached a few snips from the manual for reference and starting points.

Ignition

TCM:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts