Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
...and that's on a good day. If they or one of them plug up they can overheat, burn your carpet and padding, melt O2 wires and make a general bummer of your day. Park 'em in the wrong spot with an overheated cat and you can end up with a great smashing bonfire for your marshmallows! :thumb:

So why do you think you might have a cat issue?

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
AHHH! Sounds more like a failing/faulty crank sensor. Relatively cheap and super easy to replace. Once this starts to fail the timing drifts and all holy heck breaks loose. Mine would run over about 1700-1900RPM. It would bog down, fart like a sailer on bean leave and wouldn't go over 30MPH if I was really lucky.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
AHHH! Sounds more like a failing/faulty crank sensor. Relatively cheap and super easy to replace. Once this starts to fail the timing drifts and all holy heck breaks loose. Mine would run over about 1700-1900RPM. It would bog down, fart like a sailer on bean leave and wouldn't go over 30MPH if I was really lucky.
Such an elegant description ;)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Does the cranck sensor appears on testbook with a code?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
crank sensor is replaced and it still wants to kill when i step on the gas but now starting the truck better with new sensor and no i dont have a test book or lab scope that would make the fix easy to find

·
Registered
410 Posts
Check fuel pressure at the rail with the proper equipment. I suspect fuel pump, if you already replaced the troublesome CPS. No codes are thrown with a problem on the fuel pump as long as it starts. NAS spec trucks will eventually throw a code with the CATs failure, but sometimes not right away. If you have had this problem for a couple hundred miles without any codes or check engine light, I don't think it is emissions related. That is true, right? No check engine light or codes?

But, it could still be the cats so be careful - they can overheat very quickly if they are plugged,... and all hell (and your wallet) breaks loose then. The engine will sound different, muffled, even at idle if the cats are plugged, can you listen to another Rover in your area? Disconnecting the cats will produce a hell of a noise, I mean really loud, but it will rev up beyond what you can now if they were plugged. I have not found test pipes easily available to bypass the Rover Cats, anyone else?

( I sound like a broken record, check the fuel pump! )

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
I know that guy at so cal used rover parts.com has a nice set of cats for sale on his website just saying.. 8~

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,259 Posts
Scotty said:
I know that guy at so cal used rover parts.com has a nice set of cats for sale on his website just saying.. 8~
And what a nice guy he is too..... :lol:
Not biased in any way though...

Martin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts