Range Rovers Forum banner

Catalytic converter/exhaust system recall

28K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  andriivarko 
G
#1 ·
I just got a letter from LRNA saying that the catalytic converter/exhaust system is being recalled due to faulty welding... Anyone else get it?

G
#2 ·
All,
This is not a recall, this is an extended warranty program (Program Number Q058).
It extends the factory warranty on your exhaust system for 11 years or 120,000 miles.

If you notice an unusual exhaust system noise from the under hood area, take it it for servicing.

#3 ·
black05 said:
I just got a letter from LRNA saying that the catalytic converter/exhaust system is being recalled due to faulty welding... Anyone else get it?
This is not a recall. There is no faulty welding. It says that the housing of "some" catalytic converters may experience a small weld crack. It does not mention anything the exhaust system having any faulty welding.

All they are doing is extending the warrenty from 7 yrs/70,000 miles to 11 yrs/120,000 miles for this specific problem only.

A true recall would ask owners to return all vehicles for remedial work and that is not want they are doing.

G
#4 ·
I'm sorry that I couldn't quote the exact issue at hand you ---. I was on my phone and I didn't have the letter in front of me.I was just seeing if it was legitimate is all. Unfortunately you can't seem to do anything around here without some type of criticism. I'm not surprised. I'm officially out of here being as I'm not wanted obviously anyway. Good bye.

#5 ·
black05 said:
I'm sorry that I couldn't quote the exact issue at hand you ---. I was on my phone and I didn't have the letter in front of me.I was just seeing if it was legitimate is all. Unfortunately you can't seem to do anything around here without some type of criticism. I'm not surprised. I'm officially out of here being as I'm not wanted obviously anyway. Good bye.
:shock: The folks that responded simply corrected your misinformation to clarify any confusion that you had or that may come up. There is a huge difference between a recall and an issue based warranty extension. Their responses just help folks that haven't received the letter yet understand what is really at hand.

#6 ·
On my 02 vogue 4.4 the WELD on the right hand cat split, removed the cat/pipe tig welded it back up. Don't think this exhaust warranty covers UK models. Mine has done 124000 + miles anyway.
Stewart.

G
#7 ·
Maybe my tone was bad, but I meant no disrespect. I just wanted to make sure people don’t rush to their dealers to have a recall done to be informed that they are wrong and that it is not a recall.

Many years ago, when I had my P38 I had some member tell me to sell it and move on to another forum. (he was not very nice) But than a year or so later he sent me a private message apology.

We all come from different back grounds and walk differently on this earth. But we all are brought together by this forum and our love for our Land Rovers.

Because of our different backgrounds we should take care that we don’t read something wrong and take offence to it.

Cheers to all.
Happy 4th and Happy Roving!

Darrin
Xtreme Rovers

#8 ·
Thanks for the great post Darrin. Balck05 has been deactivated by request. However the accuracy of this topic is still very active.

For some MarkIII owners your warranties will be extended for this topic. Please be carefull not to raid your dealers service desk thinking this is a full recall item. If you think you fall within this topic, proceed carefully to your dealer and ask for details. :thumb:

#9 ·
You work for the dealer or something proceed carefully anybody that believes they fall into the catagory for this work on there rangie is at least gonna call.You sound like you are the dealer.Are there mostly dealers on here are owners i notice sometimes people post problems and no one has nothing to say its like there forcing them to use the dealer to solve there problems.Now there a few real mechanical enthusist type excuse me if a spelled it wrong but seems 75-90 percent are sounding like dealers.The p38 forum has way more diy threads and is way more mechanicly helpfull from an independent stand point and the other 10-20 percent are critical as hell.And feel they know what people life saving are bye a few type sentences :think:

#10 ·
minnesota mitch said:
You work for the dealer or something proceed carefully anybody that believes they fall into the catagory for this work on there rangie is at least gonna call.You sound like you are the dealer.Are there mostly dealers on here are owners i notice sometimes people post problems and no one has nothing to say its like there forcing them to use the dealer to solve there problems.Now there a few real mechanical enthusist type excuse me if a spelled it wrong but seems 75-90 percent are sounding like dealers.The p38 forum has way more diy threads and is way more mechanicly helpfull from an independent stand point and the other 10-20 percent are critical as hell.And feel they know what people life saving are bye a few type sentences :think:
What planet are you from?

The mantra of this forum has always been to support your local idependant Rover repair shop, buy an extended warranty and DIY. Several members have been working on and posting DIY threads and we have been directing members to download the free RAVE workshop manual which has detailed DIY information.

Yes I just deleted one of your posts because it was a duplicate and I only know of one member who is a service advisor at a dealer. Most members refer ro the dealer as the Stealer.

Items that are covered under factory warranty should be take to the dealer unless you want to pay out of pocket.

#11 ·
My 2004 Ranger Rover catalytic converter has basically given up on life yesterday and beyond a welding fix. What I am surprised at is that it only has 40,000 on the clock so should not find such a failure so soon (though I am ready told otherwise). Does anyone know whether the part number for the North American and European/UK versions are the same? Is there any reason why if the problem manifest itself in the US it should not in the UK?

#12 ·
dingo said:
...Is there any reason why if the problem manifest itself in the US it should not in the UK?
It wouldn't neccessarily be an issue of it failing more in the U.S than the U.K, but the actions of consumer and/or environmental protection agencies. My guess is that the U.S. EPA has imposed the extended warranty on the item due to actual failures or likelyhood of projected failure. The U.S. EPA requires the warranty period of emission control system parts to be a standard length of time that is usually longer than the warranty for the rest of most vehicles. The auto maker has no choice in the length of warranty for emission control parts, unless they would voluntarily extend beyond what's required. And that's not bloody likely.

So I'd further think that the U.K. environmental protect agency has not (yet, anyway) directed an extended warranty as the U.S. counterpart has.

#14 ·
I checked under the car and noticed the passenger side cc is almost brand new and has a manufacturer date stamp is 2009. The driver side cc looks original with no date stampped, obviously the passenger side had problems before I bought it. I wonder if the drivers side is having problems now and causing the humming noise. Is there a specifc welding area that is problem?

#16 ·
to see if you have a crack on your cat,
start the engine when its cold,
and with the truck fully raised,
slide under the truck and put your hand around the front edge of the cat,
this is where the crack will be,
if its leaking you should feel the gasses escaping.

Also if your exhaust system isnt one piece from the headers to the tail pipes then your right side cat has been replaced.
In otherwords the factory repair is to cut the original pipe out then fit a new header/cat assembly,
this will be obvious as there will be a clamp on the right hand exhaust pipe about 4 ft past the cat

#17 ·
An addendum to this sleepy posting. After 2000 plus km on our new to us rangie I am hearing a strong rattle on the front passenger side on cold start up. The rattle seems to resonate thru the exhaust but not sure if that is what it is yet. If anyone has had this rattle which is somewhat tinny I would appreciate hearing from you. Is it possible to be a loose catalyst or could it be a loose damper on one of the belt tensioners. The starter seems to make a bit of noise as it seems to take a few seconds to disengage due to the cold but the rattle continues for several minutes. We have been at 3-5 F during the past few mornings.
Thanks for the Info on dealer repair work. When we got ours I noticed that the exhaust Is basically carbon free and It made me wonder If It had been changed, steam cleaned or just a great running engine which it seems to be so far. Any chance there would be a date punched Into the metal anywhere. The sound seems to resonate thru the cat converter but not so sure that is the issue.

#21 ·
my 2003 rr with 137K miles got same issue with check engine. LRNA denied to service under recall because mileage exceeded. Dealer quoter $200 for new cat and $1300 for new sensor. What a rip off. Got cat welded at the shop for $50 and the check engine disappeared by itself because it realized everything is normal now. So didn't had to install a new sensor. Unless your RR under warranty, try figure things yourself first if you're able to.

#22 ·
I think you quoted, or were quoted parts prices backwards. But yeah, the issue is usually just a crack in the housing, not the cat itself, so generally they can be welded back up, which as long as proper welding precautions are taken, will generally take care of the issue.

As to the sensor, sometimes they won't come out of the housing, which would necessitate replacement, other times they get recommended just for the fun of it.

#23 ·
Oops actually $1500 for sensor, haha. See screenshot from dealer's quote. I think you're right they just probably mixed up things.
Also, that time they replaced few things after my approval that i later figured out was not necessary. RIP OFF RIP OFF RIP OFF.
Hoping you would never end up at that place (see their address at the screenshot).
Text Line Font Purple Screenshot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.