RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before starting out I will say what everyone else more than likely will and admit it is illegal, environmentally immoral and not a good idea to remove your Catalytic Converters from any vehicle especially one like this. I do understand. However..

I have a 2006 RRSC and I was wondering if I were to remove the cats, is there anyway I could go about doing it to avoid getting the check engine light on and/or pass inspection? I asked one of my primary autoshop's and they said they did it on LS1 engines all the time (removing the cats), they then put in a program to the ECU where it tricked it to think it was running good. This way, the Engine Light didn't come on and all was fine. I read previous articles of people removing cats off their "Disco", Discovery and P38 RR but not a L322. I am wondering if anyone has ever dared attempted to remove the cats off a 06 RRSC and what the results were with it? Is it even possible to smoothly go through with it and use straight pipes? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Before starting out I will say what everyone else more than likely will and admit it is illegal, environmentally immoral and not a good idea to remove your Catalytic Converters from any vehicle especially one like this. I do understand. However..

I have a 2006 RRSC and I was wondering if I were to remove the cats, is there anyway I could go about doing it to avoid getting the check engine light on and/or pass inspection? I asked one of my primary autoshop's and they said they did it on LS1 engines all the time (removing the cats), they then put in a program to the ECU where it tricked it to think it was running good. This way, the Engine Light didn't come on and all was fine. I read previous articles of people removing cats off their "Disco", Discovery and P38 RR but not a L322. I am wondering if anyone has ever dared attempted to remove the cats off a 06 RRSC and what the results were with it? Is it even possible to smoothly go through with it and use straight pipes? Thank you.
in the mustang world you can buy a little adapter that plugs into the harness where the 02 sensor would. The adapter tricks the computer into thinking the cats are working. I honestly don't know what the repercussions are for a range rover however.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the mustang world you can buy a little adapter that plugs into the harness where the 02 sensor would. The adapter tricks the computer into thinking the cats are working. I honestly don't know what the repercussions are for a range rover however.
That's exactly what the shop told me. The only advice they could give was to get a "High-Flow Cat" but I'm pretty skeptical of those. My reasoning for wanting to delete the cats is not for performance gains but for an increase in exhaust note and possibly afterfire. I already have the resonator deleted but want just a bit more drama in the exhaust. I understand (for good reason) no one has tried it but I will post results if I go through with it.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
869 Posts
The P38 used a single O2 sensor on each side, so removing the cat had no affect. The 322's have dual sensors...one pre-cat and one post. The computer then monitors how the cat is re-burning the O2. If you pull the cat, the computer will flag, as you know.

If I were you, I'd check on the 2006 Jag forums to see if those Boys have been deleting the cats with success. There is not enough interest in the RR world to come up with a deletion kit...but the Jags enthusiasts are more into performance and may have a solution for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's exactly what the shop told me. The only advice they could give was to get a "High-Flow Cat" but I'm pretty skeptical of those. My reasoning for wanting to delete the cats is not for performance gains but for an increase in exhaust note and possibly afterfire. I already have the resonator deleted but want just a bit more drama in the exhaust. I understand (for good reason) no one has tried it but I will post results if I go through with it.
Which resonators did you remove? The two center resonators? I'm thinking about deleting the resonators. I've read about it for RRS but couldn't find much info for FFRR. How is it? Do you have any clips?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which resonators did you remove? The two center resonators? I'm thinking about deleting the resonators. I've read about it for RRS but couldn't find much info for FFRR. How is it? Do you have any clips?
This will help you. http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-range-rover-sport-l320/14183-removing-resonator-should-i.html

For me, I deleted the front and rear silencer I believe. Not the muffler. I'll upload a clip later. But it's HIGHLY recommended. At 2-3K RPM you can hear the engine and it sounds like a low deep growl V8, also there is some crackle from the exhaust sometimes if you let it shift at high RPMs. It's incredible and the best $ I ever spent. No MPG gains. Maybe 1 or 2 hp gains.. idk. At cruising speed it is completely manageable and still classy. When you're on a date it isn't protruding throughout the cabin or giving you a headache on a trip down the freeway, but when you want to kick things up a notch and let the presence of 400 Horses be known.. you can. Easily. Incredible mod for the price. Absolutely incredible.

Me personally, I wanted just a little bit more and also maybe some afterfire from the exhaust from removing the Catalytic Convertor. But seeing as you can't without setting off the codes I'm rethinking it...

Maybe you should contact someone at Audi. They are good at that sort of crap!
Removing the cats is illegal. Company's will not help with something like this because they know better and it would hurt reputation. Also, Audi is Audi. Not Land Rover, so they wouldn't be to much help with something as specialized as this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 9 of 9 Posts