RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new cat and was wondering if any of you chaps have found cats for 93 LWB that are reasonable? I'm looking at catalyticconverterwarehouse.com right how as they are about half price of RN and AB with a direct fit. Too good to be true? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
367 Posts
I just went down to my local exhaust shop and got a Cat back entire system for 450$(US). After he quoted that price I stopped looking for cats.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's awesome. Last fall I had my shop put in a cat back Borla system that came with my vehicle when I purchased it. Now the cat is rattling. Meineke or the like won't do anything but put on a direct fit Y-pipe/cat. I don't see why they couldn't just weld on a Magnaflow cat or something but they keep saying it has to be the entire Y-pipe.

G

·
0 Posts
The catalytic converters on the Rover are different from one side to the other. The one on the right side is flatter in order to fit. If it is not welded in place precisely it will do more than just rattle. The front prop shaft will bash it. You really don't want anything but the correct part in there. I would recommend the actual Rover one from Atlantic British. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: So I shopped around to see if anyone would weld in a similar flat style passenger side cat. Nope. Wouldn't touch it. So I broke down and ordered the direct-fit y online cat part and had no issues when it was put in and it's running fine - for half the price of AB.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah, I believe the part was made in Canada, not China as someone replied earlier...

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 88 has a single CAT that I will be replacing in the next few weeks. The ones in the Y pipe were removed prior to me buying the truck and replaced with straight pipe. (welded of course) I am sure they did this to reduce the cost of exhaust replacement and I havent noticed any difference in performance. But then this is the only Rover I have owned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts