RangeRovers.net Forum banner

Have you experienced this small weld crack at the catalytic converter housing (2003-2005 model L322)

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Land Rover has identified a problem with some 2003-2005 North America models and it involves a small weld crack in the housing of the catalytic converter housing. If you notice an exhaust sound from the engine compartment this may be a symptom. Please see the attached official Land Rover letter.

If you are not covered by this extended warranty here is an excellent DIY write up: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32757

Attachments

·
Registered
690 Posts
Re: *STICKY & POLL: LR Ext Warranty Program Q058

Execpt for addresses and phone numbers that text is exactly the same as the one I received from Land Rover Canada.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My exhaust seems louder to me when I got the letter it made sense to me. I called my local LR dealer to ask if they could take a look and let me know if it should be replaced. They wanted $150 to look and if it needed then they would replace it under warranty. Basically to find out if you need it it's on your dime.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
nsxxtream:

It would serve them right if you just drove it with a leak until it caught fire (that's their real fear).

Then look at the boat your dealer would be in for not checking a SAFTY related item that has a service order on...

Mark

·
Registered
646 Posts
Moto One said:
nsxxtream:
It would serve them right if you just drove it with a leak until it caught fire (that's their real fear).
Then look at the boat your dealer would be in for not checking a SAFTY related item that has a service order on...
Mark
I honestly would never buy a rover from the Portland Range Rover dealer. Those guys have their noses so far up their a$$ they want nothing to do with you unless you come to them with an open wallet. My guess is if it caught fire they would blame you for not bringing it in.

I'll need to climb under my truck this weekend and look to see if I have any cracks. If I do I'll be calling them back. It's been so **** hot here lately that I haven't done much outside lately.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2004 Ranger Rover cat converter has basically given up on life yesterday and beyond a welding fix. What I am surprised at is that it only has 40,000 on the clock so should not find such a failure so soon (though I am ready told otherwise). Does anyone know whether the part number for the North American and European/UK versions are the same? Is there any reason why if the problem manifest itself in the US it should not in the UK?

Just wondering whether I should really ask Land Rover to contribute to this repair even though the car is out of warranty.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
64 Posts
I submitted my repair bill from 2006 for replacing the cats on my '03 RR to LR Portland a few weeks ago, and this week I received a check covering my prior expense. Happy happy...

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
dingo said:
My 2004 Ranger Rover cat converter has basically given up on life yesterday and beyond a welding fix. What I am surprised at is that it only has 40,000 on the clock so should not find such a failure so soon (though I am ready told otherwise). Does anyone know whether the part number for the North American and European/UK versions are the same? Is there any reason why if the problem manifest itself in the US it should not in the UK?

Just wondering whether I should really ask Land Rover to contribute to this repair even though the car is out of warranty.
The weld has opened up on my cat, I just spoke to LR Swindon and LR Bristol and neither have ever heard of it happening (or so they say). I then rang LR Customer Relations, the gentleman I spoke to was rude to the extreme. He said the Exhaust systems are completely different between UK/EU and NAS spec, I then said I have the technical specs in front of me and can assure him they are identical to which he replied with he was not technically trained to comment.

He then said that LR US is a different company to LR UK and we don't get the same warranty here as they do. Obviously I said I wasn't happy with that and asked what the escalation process is, his words were "There isn't no escalation process" I asked if I could speak with someone higher up, his words were "there aint no one here higher than me". Needless to say I was almost speechless!

I think this is disgusting behaviour by Land Rover when they are haemorrhaging tax payers money left right and center! So my tax, goes to a company that will give a US customer better treatment than a UK customer.

I imagine in 6 months time they will match the US warranty, like they did with the Diff Recall!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Dan_UK_1984 said:
dingo said:

The weld has opened up on my cat, I just spoke to LR Swindon and LR Bristol and neither have ever heard of it happening (or so they say). I then rang LR Customer Relations, the gentleman I spoke to was rude to the extreme. He said the Exhaust systems are completely different between UK/EU and NAS spec, I then said I have the technical specs in front of me and can assure him they are identical to which he replied with he was not technically trained to comment.

He then said that LR US is a different company to LR UK and we don't get the same warranty here as they do. Obviously I said I wasn't happy with that and asked what the escalation process is, his words were "There isn't no escalation process" I asked if I could speak with someone higher up, his words were "there aint no one here higher than me". Needless to say I was almost speechless!

I think this is disgusting behaviour by Land Rover when they are haemorrhaging tax payers money left right and center! So my tax, goes to a company that will give a US customer better treatment than a UK customer.

I imagine in 6 months time they will match the US warranty, like they did with the Diff Recall!
You need to write to the UK Managing Director of Land Rover and quote the Swindon Chap word for word. My guess is that you will get sorted quite quickly. Always go straight to the top :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
marcpablo said:
Land Rover has identified a problem with some 2003-2005 North America models and it involves a small weld crack in the housing of the catalytic converter housing. If you notice an exhaust sound from the engine compartment this may be a symptom. Please see the attached official Land Rover letter.

If you are not covered by this extended warranty here is an excellent DIY write up: http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32757
Shouldn't this be covered under federal and/or state emissions warranties?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
State and Federal is only for seven years, this is now extended to 11 years.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This issue was done by LR in 2008 under the original factory warranty.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Maybe someone should add "Yes, replaced more than once". I'm now on my 2nd catalytic converter all paid for by the good folks at Land Rover, Inc.

Galen said:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Galen said:
Maybe someone should add "Yes, replaced more than once". I'm now on my 2nd catalytic converter all paid for by the good folks at Land Rover, Inc.

Galen said:
Done at your request.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just had my Passenger Side Cat replaced under warranty on my 2003 RR HSE - with 103k miles on it.

$2400 worth of work for FREE!!

Finally, RR doesn't leave me stinging at the dealer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just took my 2003 in for an oil change and a service engine soon light on. The service manager called to tell me the SES light was from the Cat and they would be replacing them for free :) Very good news.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anyone know if this warranty would cover the left front pipe which is down the system from the catalytic converter? I've got a welded section there that has a few small leaks. The weld and weld leaks are pretty close to where the dot for #8 is shown. I'm thinking it's not covered, but wanted to make sure. My indy mechanic says any muffler shop can have me good as new in 5 minutes. Wanted to check here first before going that route. Thanks!

Attachments

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It should be covered. I had the same leak and they replaced the cat.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts