RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
jasonp121 - I've got a 06 HSE. I've been trying to push the limit of the oil, I've been using German Castol AKA, GC \ CastrolSyntec Ow30\ Edge ow30. I pushed the limit to 9250 miles and got a TBN of 4.0 with very low wear metals. The TAN level (acidity) was 6. I think I could have reached 11K comfortably, but I've since backed down to 7500/8000 miles for the OC. I think you need to look at both the TAN and TBN to see how effective the oil will be on the longer interval.

·
Registered
44 Posts
btw do you guys use oem filters or pure one or mobil 1 filters?
Mobil 1 at 7,500 mile intervals. Suction method with OEM filter from Atlantic British (support your local forum sponsor).

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hmmm. I've also been mulling this over as I'm due for an oil change. The thing is however, I hear that Castro synthetic oils run like water when the engine is at. Or am temps and don't offer as much protection as Mobil 1 or even the Motul line of oils. I'm still under warranty so should I just get the oil changed at the dealership or will it void my warranty if I go somewhere else?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,964 Posts
I just bought my own castrol edge extended performance 5w/20 and had the dealer replace it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Also to add is that rover freak had close to 200k miles on his 2012 RRS SC before it was sadly rear ended and totaled a few weeks ago. He wa fully dealer serviced per factory recommendations and never had major issue in that many miles, although only being in a few years.
Yikes. Hope he's ok. I never imagined Roverfreak being rear ended--the guy drove like 90-100mph everywhere. Musta been a Lambo or something.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,964 Posts
What was your savings going that route? What's does your dealer charge for a standard oil change?
Don't know how they charge me but with me bringing my own oil, I paid $95? $44 for the filter? Tax and labor was $95. I would guess their oil will be more? I got mine 5 quarts @ $36 x2 and have two quarts extra. If only the parts store have the filter in stock the price of $36 includes a free filter. I prefer the extended performance vs the castrol edge professional per their spec sheet. I thought the dealer castrol should last up to 15-20k miles but I get the service required screen at 8k miles. This would be my first paid oil change.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
I thought the dealer castrol should last up to 15-20k miles but I get the service required screen at 8k miles. This would be my first paid oil change.
The Service Indicator is time and mileage based, it is not affected by the type or conditions of the oil you use. If it took you about a year to drive those 8K miles, the reminder will turn on anyway. The interval for MY2010s+ oil changes is every 12 months or 15,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hate to revive this thread but in attempts to solve my hard start issue (which seafoam and not letting the tank go below 1/2 seems to be solving) I have a question about not using the oil LR recommends.

Would using Castrol Edge TITANIUM affect carbon build up in the engine vs using the LR recommended Castrol Edge PROFESSIONAL?

I was having the hard start issue prior to changing my own oil back in June with Castrol Edge Titanium and the problem went away until it started getting cold again. Now it's back and I'm on the verge of changing my oil again for winter so would using the "Professional" version over the "Titanium" version help with the hard starts? I'm just wondering because if I take it to the dealership complaining about hard starts they may turn around and ask if I used their oil as an out for covering a fuel pump or filter under warranty.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
If you are worried about warranty claims, stick to the 5W-20 EDGE Professional OE version, the only one that meets Ford/JLR's WSS-M2C925-A standard (the only Castrol branded one, anyway... I know there is a Liqui-Moly oil available that meets oir exceeds that same standard, but it is even harder to source than the Castrol stuff on this side of the pond, and just as expensive.)

I am about 100% convinced that using a high quality synthetic oil - particularly one specifically formulated for long / extended oil changes, such as Castrol's EDGE Extended Performance or Mobil 1 EP - instead of the overpriced product recommended by Land Rover would not affect carbon build-up and/or performance of your engine / fuel pump / filter in any way, but the dealer might use that as an excuse to deny a warranty claim, so... Luckily for me ;-), I have no factory or extended warranties left on my 2013 LR4 to worry about, so my engine and I have been very happy with 5W-20 Mobil 1 Extended Performance that I replace like clockwork - along with oil filter - every 7500 miles instead of the 15K-mile intervals that Land Rover recommends.

By the way, you blinked and missed the Castrol name change - again. Edge Titanium is now called Edge Extended Performance - same product as far as I can tell, although the word "Titanium" has been demoted to the back label for some reason. They like to change names of their oils every few months to confuse the heck out of everyone.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Thanks Umberto, I called the dealership today to ask how much they charge for an oil change and if it's 200 bucks I'll do it. All this to keep them from finding an out for the hard start issue. Sheesh!

·
Banned
901 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a New 2016 Range Rover Sport HSE with 6000 miles on it. It calls for 0w-20 Castrol Edge Extended Oil. I went to the dealer and they told me to come back at 16000 miles. I told them that will never happen on my RRS. The look I got was not good I could care less what they think. I made the app for the 6000 mile oil change. They said it would cost $200.00 I said fine I will be back.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You should keep a sample of the 6000 mile oil and send it to blackstone to run a used oil analysis - then you will have some real data on how much life is really left in the oil

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,964 Posts
I ran the first "free" oil change with blackstone and though it had enough TBN, it had a lot of sodium. I will check when my second oil change comes up and see if the castrol brand uses this compound.

·
Registered
98 Posts
fyi -

I wanted to add some current info to this thread.

I purchased a 2012 RR. I'm going to change the oil, because I'm not sure when the oil was last changed. I don't see the Castrol SLX Professional 5W-20 readily available. I don't even see it listed on the Castrol website. So, I'm going to use the Mobil 1 5W-20, which does meet Ford WSS-M2C925-A requested in the Range Rover Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi guys. I see that oil conversation comes down to pretty much Castrol or Mobile, no love for Liquid Molly? or other Euro oils? Motul?
I mean, I do Castrol form dealer every 5 K, friendly Land Rover mechanic does this for me on the weekends but just bought an Audi Q5 and decided to go with Liquid Molly Molygen, so far very happy with results.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts