RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I am due for an oil change, the book says use only Castrol Edge Pro only available from dealers for $160 cdn. I can't imagine going 24 thousand Kms between changes, it seems like far too long!
Anybody decided to do 2 or 3 oil changes per year with Mobil 1 or similar or would I be better to stick with the OEM Castrol and the RR schedule? It is not a matter of cost just engine protection.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I wouldn't want to go that long on any kind of oil. I stick with 5,000 mile changes. Its cheap in the scheme of things.

Depending on your driving conditions, temperatures choose an oil you like. I prefer Mobil 1 and Valvoline Maxlife as it is another great blend that gets heavy praise for its price.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
You can get the OE oil on Amazon-- I wouldn't pay $10/qt for it but if you have to have it....

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Just as a reminder, the expensive Castrol Edge Professional OE 5W-20 synthetic oil is only recommended for MY2010s and later with 5-liter V8 engines, earlier model years use a different viscosity and don't require synthetic, but they do need more frequent oil changes according to Land Rover, every 7500 miles / 6 months. I use Mobil 1 5W-20 on my 2013 LR4 (same engine and requirements as the 2010+ Sport) and replace it every 7500 miles, rather than waiting 15K. Last time I checked, you could get that Castrol product on eBay for about US$9/qt delivered, that's the cheapest I've seen it so far. A quart of 5W20 Mobil 1 - the regular or the Extended Performance ones - can often be found for half as much at your various Costco, Walmart, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks All,
I have a 2010 RRS and I think I will use the same oil as Umberto and change it at 7500 miles also. I have always been a fan of Mobile 1 products but it will be genuine OEM oils for the diff and T/C.

Thanks,
Karl

·
Registered
342 Posts
For 2006-2009 regular Castrol GTX 5W30 at 5000 miles is good (or 1 year - although LR specs 6 months, which is probably good if you go a lot off road , towing, dusty climate etc.) - I'm running Castrol Syntec 5W30 and will stretch it to 7500/1Yr for normal driving. Any quality 5W30 synthetic (or dino oil for 5K) should be good. ... most the differences come down to marketing .... For 2010 and beyond, LR probably changed to longer service intervals (which requires synthetic) to keep competitive with other manufacturers service intervals (and XW20 for EPA fuel economy reasons). Oil change is relatively cheap compared to a new engine ... but if you talk to Mobil and look at used oil analysis - Synthetic can go for long drain intervals - it all depends on driving conditions. Easy freeway use is best for long interval - short trips / stop/start , dusty, towing etc. would shortern interval. For most of us 7500-10K on Synthetic would work well.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am running Fuchs Titan Pro 5W30 and i m changing the engin oil in every 10000km(6000miles). But in winter times i change oil every 5000km.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2013 sport and change every 5,000 using the castrol edge pro 5w20 required by L/R........my truck is still under warranty and driving conditions are 75% short miles/city and 25% road.........I would never do 15,000 oil changes, don't care what L/R or Castrol says.......plan on keeping this truck for a long time and oil changes are cheap compared to $18-20K rebuild........probably doing overkill at 5,000 mile, but the last L/R that I had, had it for 10 years and put 197,000 miles on the truck with no engine issues......changed every 5,000 on it and the last oil change I did, it was only 1/2 qt low.....not sure if I will continue with the Castrol 5w20 after warranty......will see what the reviews are with the 2010's and newer with a lot of miles using the Castrol...............

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,964 Posts
I know my 2013 RRS requires the castrol edge professional but if there is a mobil 1 EP replacement I would go with M1. Proof positive, my 2003 Honda Pilot used only M1 EP now with 217k miles. My 2009 escalade hybrid had 195k miles with no problems and traded for the new 2015i escalade platinum. Nothing beats M1 so far.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Just as a reminder, the expensive Castrol Edge Professional OE 5W-20 synthetic oil is only recommended for MY2010s and later with 5-liter V8 engines, earlier model years use a different viscosity and don't require synthetic, but they do need more frequent oil changes according to Land Rover, every 7500 miles / 6 months. I use Mobil 1 5W-20 on my 2013 LR4 (same engine and requirements as the 2010+ Sport) and replace it every 7500 miles, rather than waiting 15K. Last time I checked, you could get that Castrol product on eBay for about US$9/qt delivered, that's the cheapest I've seen it so far. A quart of 5W20 Mobil 1 - the regular or the Extended Performance ones - can often be found for half as much at your various Costco, Walmart, etc.
I know my 2013 RRS requires the castrol edge professional but if there is a mobil 1 EP replacement I would go with M1. Proof positive, my 2003 Honda Pilot used only M1 EP now with 217k miles. My 2009 escalade hybrid had 195k miles with no problems and traded for the new 2015i escalade platinum. Nothing beats M1 so far.

Question answered?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
my Toyota has 252K miles on M1. Oil + filter changed every 10-12K. Did a compression test last summer (@225K)and all cylinders in spec.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Using Castrol Syntec 5W30 trying to stretch it to 7000-8000 miles.
Still pretty clean when I checked it at 6K
When it's on sale it's hard to be beat the price.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,964 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
The castrol edge professional is not 15k mile extended performance oil. The manual says WSSM2C925A and mobil 1 is WSSM2C945A and C930A.

It's been very much discussed in several other threads that castrol is the only manufacturer for that spec that is factory recommended for the 5.0 and only available at dealer or occasionally on eBay. A close substitute that is being used is the mobil1 that's discussed in this thread yet will require more frequent changes.

Also to add is that rover freak had close to 200k miles on his 2012 RRS SC before it was sadly rear ended and totaled a few weeks ago. He wa fully dealer serviced per factory recommendations and never had major issue in that many miles, although only being in a few years.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was worried about the 1 year/15,000 mile oil change interval as well so I had the Blackstone Oil Analysis report done in January. For $25 it seemed like a good insurance policy. I went 1 year and 10,500 miles on the Castrol Professional OE 5w-20 I got from the dealer (I change it myself with LR filter via suction method) on my 2011 HSE - it was driven mostly all city driving and did not add any oil. I only put the highest octane in it (93 octane in NYC). I average 12mpg in city and about 17.6mpg on highway.

The analysis shows a TBN value of 3.2 so that means the oil still had another 1,000 to 2,000 miles of engine protection. There were slightly elevated levels of metal in the oil but given city driving and repeated short trips that's to be expected.

I will gladly post a copy of the report... if you own a 5.0 motor and do mostly highway the 1 year/15,000 mile change seems appropriate. I'd rather spend the extra money on the oil and filter from the dealer given it's only once a year and it's proven that it will protect the motor for the oil change interval.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,964 Posts
It's been very much discussed in several other threads that castrol is the only manufacturer for that spec that is factory recommended for the 5.0 and only available at dealer or occasionally on eBay. A close substitute that is being used is the mobil1 that's discussed in this thread yet will require more frequent changes.

Also to add is that rover freak had close to 200k miles on his 2012 RRS SC before it was sadly rear ended and totaled a few weeks ago. He wa fully dealer serviced per factory recommendations and never had major issue in that many miles, although only being in a few years.
product manufacturer sheet shows that the castrol edge titanium extended performance and the mobil 1 extended performance have better numbers than the european castrol edge professional of the 5w/20 variety. viscosity index of the castrol and mobil 1 is 161 while it was 157 for the professional. the viscosity at 100 degrees centigrade of the castrol and mobil 1 extended performance were 8.9 and 8.9 respectively but the dealer castrol professional was only 8.0. I'm just on my first paid oil change that's why this came up. btw do you guys use oem filters or pure one or mobil 1 filters?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
I buy the OEM filter on Amazon, by Mahle: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AFVTL9K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - With Prime + Subscribe & Save (I get one delivered every 3 months automatically, that's how long it takes me to drive 7500 miles, on average) it comes out to $23 delivered, and I don't have to shop around every 3 months for one. I don't believe Mobil offers compatible oil fitler cartridges for our 5-liter V8 engines yet.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,964 Posts
Ok thanks! I just googled the difference between the ford specs and the new one supercedes the old ones. Our mobil 1 EP as well as the castrol titanium EP should be good. Besides my local dealer must be cutting corners and using subpar oil.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,964 Posts
I meant castrol edge extended performance has the same spec sheet as the mobil 1 EP!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts