RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jalopnik has posted on their site a list of EVERY CAR that was traded in under the Cash For Clunkers program.
Two of the 500 1993 Defender 110s were turned in. Seriously? people traded 35,000$ vehicles for a 4500$ cash rebate? WTH?

I blogged about it my comments are there. I'm now even more pissed than I was about the program.

Page 15 and 16 on their site.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
OkieRover said:
Jalopnik has posted on their site a list of EVERY CAR that was traded in under the Cash For Clunkers program.
Two of the 500 1993 Defender 110s were turned in. Seriously? people traded 35,000$ vehicles for a 4500$ cash rebate? WTH?

I blogged about it my comments are there. I'm now even more pissed than I was about the program.

I've seen a few '93 110s and 90s that weren't even close to being worth the $4500 mark. Although I'm not estatic about the program, let's not assume that all the rigs listed were kept by LR enthusiats or even in resonable shape.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
OkieRover said:

I've seen a few '93 110s and 90s that weren't even close to being worth the $4500 mark. Although I'm not estatic about the program, let's not assume that all the rigs listed were kept by LR enthusiats or even in resonable shape.
I've never been car shopping in the states but I thought rarity pushed the values up.

In the states
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REDMOUNT ... 2685wt_958
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-Lan ... _500wt_973

And in the UK
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... &logcode=p
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... &logcode=p

Going by these kind of values a salvage 1993 110 has to be worth a few quid...
Probably more than $4.5k to the right buyer.

·
Registered
867 Posts
There were some travesties on Cash for Clunkers

Like a 1989 Toyota Land Cruiser with... 77k original miles on it. Well worth more than $4,500
or...
1996 Lexus LX450 with 145k miles.... well worth more than $4,500

Again, stuff that sure as hell doesn't matter to all y'all but uncle sam should have revised his list, or at least allowed people to buy certain ones back before the crusher.

G

·
0 Posts
You're assuming they really were 93 NAS 110's rather than cars illegally imported and claiming to be 110s. What do you do with a car that would be constitute fraud to sell if you no longer want it? Selling it to the only folks that think it is not fraud (the government) is brilliant.

You guys are crazy if you think you can tell a car's value just by age, model and mileage. Those things tell you nothing about condition. Was the engine blown? Was the car one of the katrina flood cars? Did the car smell so bad you couldn't stay in it? Had it been wrecked repeatedly?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Mike said:
You're assuming they really were 93 NAS 110's rather than cars illegally imported and claiming to be 110s. What do you do with a car that would be constitute fraud to sell if you no longer want it? Selling it to the only folks that think it is not fraud (the government) is brilliant.

You guys are crazy if you think you can tell a car's value just by age, model and mileage. Those things tell you nothing about condition. Was the engine blown? Was the car one of the katrina flood cars? Did the car smell so bad you couldn't stay in it? Had it been wrecked repeatedly?
Our scrappage scheme had all sorts of rules about what could and couldn't be turned in, I'm sure yours was the same.
Defender 110s are plentiful over here (there's 200 on autotrader at the moment) and an eligible-for-scrappage but tatty 1993 110 would be worth £1200-£1800, slightly less than the £2k scrappage allowance.
Now if we'd only ever had 500 D110s and had 5 times the population...

I still reckon a genuine road-legal NAS 110 would make a lot more than the CFC payment.
Somebody phone Copley Motors or ECR, tell them you have a tatty NAS D110 with clean title but a jumpy gearbox, low oil pressure and some rust on the body cappings and rear crossmember. Then ask for $9k.
I reckon they'd bite.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts