RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe these two are as attractive as the RRC. The 356's were like 13K in the 80s if I remember right. Porsche_356_in_red.jpg Porsche 911 1965.jpg

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
905 Posts
Porsche speedster.

Real Hummer

Defender

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
788 Posts
image.jpg
I agree with the 356, but I'm biased.

I will also posit:

Jaguar E - Type
Jaguar XJS
Late 60s early 70s Mercedes 280 SE Cab
image.jpg

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
124 Posts
Apples to apples, this would probably kick-in an RRC's teeth ... and it's quite the timeless beauty of a beast ... only one i'd even take a second glance at ...

gunther-holtorf-wonen-in-een-camper-road-trip-mercedes-benz-gd-G-wagen-4x4-jeep-reis-rond-de-wer.jpg
Mercedes_G-Klasse_Edition_Pur_20090808_front.jpg

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
those are nice, but for me they look too much like the army jeep (or jeep wrangler) as do the defenders. Ok but not my style. for me opinions on cars, and art for that matter, are often based on what memories or images pieces conjour up in my mind. for the RRC classic images of elegance, grace, kindness and power come to mind. for the gwagon I think corrupt oligarch, strip club owner, mafia enforcer.

i don't mean to offend any gwagon owners. its just my own personal interpretation. your experience most likely is completely different from mine.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Johnno42- I look at it and admire it like a piece of art. I know you look at it and think about how much fun your going to have in the mud!! Hope yours is running well my friend.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Johnno42- I look at it and admire it like a piece of art. I know you look at it and think about how much fun your going to have in the mud!! Hope yours is running well my friend.
Totally, I fell in love with RRCs not for their ruggedness but their timeless beauty, I grew up surrounded by them far away where they were used as all round vehicles, but never for offroading. The Musée du Louvre in Paris exhibited a Range Rover as an "exemplary work of industrial design" in the 70s and they couldn't have been more right. I might be wrong on this, but I don't think there has been any other vehicle given that honor by them. So yeah, some people will see them as utilitarian beasts of burden, I see mine as functional art - not gonna beat it up. Good thread :thumb:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Lots of people on here seem to be into restoring/keeping them nice which is a different world to me. I bought mine because it was a cheap way to get an offroad vehicle and I figured if I trashed it, I could throw a match in it and walk away. It's a bit of a pity because mine was 9/10 for bodywork etc when I bought it, but its gone a bit downhill since then, and my original plan is in tatters, as I seem to have grown attached to it and I might have trouble lighting the match.

PS what is a levi gremlin? That thing is wrong in so many different ways.

PPS Best classic comparison with a rangy is a jag XJ12. So many things in common, unreliability, excessive fuel consumption, the list goes on...

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
image.jpg
Call me insane but I also nominate the Volvo 850 - classy, boxy, different, and does something unlike anything else, just like a RRC.

·
Registered
124 Posts
View attachment 77801
Call me insane but I've always had a thing for Volvo 850s - classy, boxy, different, and does something unlike anything else, just like a RRC.
I am seriously considering getting one of this for my daily driver ... actually its not a matter of "if", just "when" - completely love this brick.
'80-'82_Volvo_240DL_Sedan.jpg
From Urban Dictionary: "Beautiful ugly is a term used in modeling, when a model has such striking or odd features that they could be considered quite beautiful or very ugly. This is especially rare, and highly desired ... " - Volvo 240 DL

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lots of people on here seem to be into restoring/keeping them nice which is a different world to me. I bought mine because it was a cheap way to get an offroad vehicle and I figured if I trashed it, I could throw a match in it and walk away. It's a bit of a pity because mine was 9/10 for bodywork etc when I bought it, but its gone a bit downhill since then, and my original plan is in tatters, as I seem to have grown attached to it and I might have trouble lighting the match.

PS what is a levi gremlin? That thing is wrong in so many different ways.

PPS Best classic comparison with a rangy is a jag XJ12. So many things in common, unreliability, excessive fuel consumption, the list goes on...
_______

I can def appreciate the off road thing. I just don't have money to throw away right now. So would rather keep mine as neat as possible -). One day I'd like to take off road a bit. Is the cleaning process difficult after you get out of the mud? I mean wrt the underside? I would imagine you have a routing to make sure everything is ok after you finish getting her dirty.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Can't say I've ever worried too much about a bit of mud. It mostly falls off after a bit. The main thing is if you drown it, check the diffs, swivel housings, gearbox and transfer case oil to make sure they aren't full of water, and if they are then change the oil before it destroys something.

With regard to mud, I have a rather amusing story [note to reader: rambling anecdote alert] about my son and I taking a hired 1200 corolla from Bourke to Wilcannia on the river road when it started raining. We had plenty of water and I figured I would rather get stuck on the side of the road then spend a night in Louth so we kept going. To add to the sense of the bizarre, we were both wearing suits. At any rate, the car got that much mud under the guards and on the wheels it finally got to a little uphill grade and ground to a halt. After a bit a bloke turned up behind us in a 4WD ute. Turned out he was following us on the basis that "I thought you knew what you were doing..." After we stopped laughing, he gave us a tow for a few ks but there was that much mud under the guards the tyres started to smoke. So we pulled up again, took the wheels off and dug all the mud out. It had stopped raining by then and the road had dried out a bit so the Corolla was just about able to cope with the conditions. We ended up getting into Tilpa about 6 at night from a 7 am start, with just about an empty tank after ploughing a 100ks in first gear and a total of 200 ks from Bourke. But hey, if I'd gone around by the bitumen I would have had to do an extra 100 ks right? Got the classic "look at them two city blokes.. no #$%^@ idea" look from an assortment of slack jawed yokels in the pub, and the publican, when he saw the Corolla, was compelled to deliver a long whistling intake of breath and say "You didn't drive that buzz box here did you?" I reassured him that in fact we had had the car dropped by helicopter and my son and I had walked there. He looked at me rather strangely as if to suggest I was stretching the truth, but didn't pursue the conversation any further. I actually think he may have been rather glad to see us go.

At any rate, the high point was that the weight of mud on the inside of the guards led to the two bits of plastic guard liners falling out. We ended up going to Cobar instead and it took an hour with the hose the next day to get the bulk of the mud of the Corolla. When I took it back to the hire place at Wollongong a few days later, I got a big lecture off some guy about how dirty it was, and 30 seconds in, when I'd had enough listening to him, I took the keys back and went and washed it. They never picked up on the missing guard liners, but then why would they think to check?

The moral of this story is: Pack chains, you never know when it's going to rain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice one Johnno,

You Americans, what are you like? ...............a bit of a German fetish going a on over there, I think!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Been watching 24 HRS of Le Mans over the weekend...Aston Martin, yes!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts