RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon folks - hoping to find myself in the market soon for a RR as a 3rd vehicle. My e34 Touring is a fantastic car but doesn't work off road as well as I would like :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I'm drawn to both the Classic and the P38. On occasion I have slept in the back of my Touring, and at 5'7", myself and my ThermaRest mattress fit back there perfectly. I was able to locate the rear area measurements for a P38 some time ago but I seem to be having difficulty finding the rear measurements for the Classic (both LWB & SWB). If anyone is able to kindly grab a rough measurement of depth from the front seat backs to where the gate shuts I'd certainly appreciate it. I imagine I'd be removing the rear seats completely due to the 'roll-forward' apparatus & to gain additional depth. Just trying to get an idea of the total space I'd have to work with. Trying to narrow my options between SWB and LWB to see what might work best should I decide to go the 'Classic' route.

Thanks folks! 8)

-Gene

'87 325is (s52'd)
'95 525iT

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
Should be the same as the SWB to LWB difference is all in the back seat leg room

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
118 Posts
I was measuring from the back of the front seats to the tail gate.

SWB to LWB difference is all in the leg room, so I believe the SWB should be shorter.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
I am not following your logic. rear cargo area side windows are interchangeable, cargo liners are interchangeable and quarter panels are interchangeable. SWB to LWB changed the wheel base from 100 to 108 matched with a longer roof and longer rear doors. As the additional 8 inches is in the rear seat leg room and everything behind the rear seat is interchangeable, why would the cargo space be different? :think:

·
Registered
118 Posts
You are correct.

Cargo space is not different.

The additional eight inches are in the passenger foot well.

The OP asked for distance from the back of the front seats (not rear seats) to where the tail gate shuts.

That distance includes the additional eight inches for passenger leg room on the LWB.

Sorry that wasn't clear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! Much appreciated. And yes - to confirm - i was looking for the measurement starting from the front seats, so with the additional length of the LWB, that would net me some add'l room. Then just subtract 8" and that gets me what the SWB has to offer. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
118 Posts
With the rear seat tipped forward you would have five feet.

Depending on what you are trying to do you could remove the rear seats or go the tent on the roof rack route.

Considering the tent on top myself.

If you're sleeping in the back, where do you put all your gear?

Good luck with your project.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I have a 90 swb and I can barely fit a cot by resting it on the tops of the rear seats folded forward and the tailgate. I'm 5'9 and it's a tight fit, i'm sure a lwb would be perfect though.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Don't forget: the seats on an RRC do not fold flat.
You can build a modular platform to address that. Seats up, you'd still have cargo space/drawers; seats down, sleeping platform panels go over passenger seats extending from cargo space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
You can build a modular platform to address that. Seats up, you'd still have cargo space/drawers; seats down, sleeping platform panels go over passenger seats extending from cargo space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's a great solution.

Will give that some thought.

Thank you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well for reference, this is what i was working with on my Touring (obviously not completely set up yet). This was mainly for just weekend trips as i can fit most of my other gear in the front seats, top of the dash, or on the roof rack. I figured if I did this in a RRC, I'd be removing the rear seats since they only 'tumble' and don't lay flat. The roof top tent is awesome but I'm scared i might try to roll off during the night :mrgreen:

597EAC43-BAA8-4119-8B01-1E0E145D26E7.jpg

·
Registered
256 Posts
With health and safety legislation the way it is now a days I suspect that they have allowed for restless sleepers!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
That was just a google pic of a roof tent RRC... I believe that it was a Hannibal brand... but there are several makers of roof tents, they just bolt to an expedition roof rack, which is why you see them opening over the hood, side and hanging over the rear of 4x4's... it's totally up to the installer where it goes!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts