RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an SVR on order and had come to an agreed trade in value for my 2015 Autobiography. My vehicle vas rear ended at parking lot speeds, requiring replacement of a cracked (yes that panel is plastic) tailgate and bumper cover. Since I filed a police report, it showed on the Carfax as an accident. The dealer used this to decrease the value of my trade by $11,500!

I realize that that this is now a vehicle with a tarnished Carfax and they have to make adjustments, but wow! This was truly a minor incident. Carfax really needs to have categories regarding severity of damage.

FWIW, Minnesota does not have any laws requiring diminished value compensation, but I was able to recoup the difference from the other driver’s insurance company. I had documentation of the vehicle’s value before and after the incident. I was 0% at fault so there was no arguing. They initially wanted to compensate $2000, then $5750. If anyone else is in the same position, stick to your guns!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I can empathize. A few years ago someone damaged my Car in a Parking lot to the tune of $1250, I claimed off my Insurance, got it fixed, forgot about it. Then when I went to trade it in the Dealer discovered a Carfax, I didn’t even know it had been reported, I was shocked. Obviously $1250 worth of damage is very minor at today’s Body repair costs.The Car was about a year old, like new with very low miles but they refused to even take it in trade saying that they couldn’t put it on the Lot because nobody would buy a car with a Carfax record attached to it. I couldn’t argue with that because I wouldn’t either.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Its not dealers fault.. Carfax just reports there an incident and yes would be good if they had what damage was. That being said consider not filing a report when minor in future. I hit someones car with my mirror last year, i had NO DAMAGE, other car wanted to file police report. He was my neighbor , i told him i have no damage and to take his car to get fixed and ill pay for it. Nope he wanted that report. Well i now have a accident on my truck and had no damage and got stained like you, mine worse as i had no damage, but same damage done as far as report. Always offer to pay to fix other car and not report. Decreased car value and possible higher insurance has a value. Figure whats that worth next time you have fender bender. I think you have up to 48 hours to report, so theres a small window of opportunity to do outside deal and no report, if that don't work then file thru insurance.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
470 Posts
The guy that hit me didn’t have his wallet and was driving his friend’s car. A police report was definitely warranted. FWIW, my car is currently listed as a CPO for $20k more than they paid me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes you did need to report that no doubt. Was just trying to give people something to think about in the event of something small fender bender.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts