RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I'm looking for a Carbon Ceramic Rotor and pad two piece setup for the RRSC 2011.

Anyone have any ideas who may manufacture good ones for our vehicles? anyone with any experience using these on their rigs? I understand this is an expensive upgrade from the conventional. I've seen "Racing Brake" but they dont produce them in CC, only in 2 piece form and only for the RR sport.

Open to other brake rotor and pad setups as well. Am lookign for something that lasts long and is dust-less.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was informed by my independent that there is not a ceramic option offered for the S/C model since they use different (bigger) brakes.

I speak in terms of brake PADS. I did a search for aftermarket brake kits as well as standalone rotors, too. No dice.

I can share my experience with some new rotors and pads intend to test, but that’s 10k miles away.

·
Registered
400 Posts
sorry, but to clarify - ceramic rotors wld be an entire upgrade along with calipers. dont know if they exist or why you would want them as ceramic rotors cost about 7500 each without the calipers! Ceramic pads are easy to buy for 2011 SC. Hawk ceramics work great:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much dust do the hawks produce? what model are you using? Im fed up with cleaning soot filled wheels every week...

On a nother subject - since there are no Carbon Ceramic setups available (or feasibly so given the cost) are there at least 2 piece rotors for the RRSC 2010 that anyone is aware of or have tried? I would love to reduce some of the unsprung wieght from the hefty stock wheels up front

sorry, but to clarify - ceramic rotors wld be an entire upgrade along with calipers. dont know if they exist or why you would want them as ceramic rotors cost about 7500 each without the calipers! Ceramic pads are easy to buy for 2011 SC. Hawk ceramics work great:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hawk ceramic - very little dust. The link attached covers which hawks not to get if u care about dust as i made that mistake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rockauto has Brembo NAO Ceramic pads for MY10-MY12 SC about $50 USD for the front and $53 USD for the rear per pair at the moment.

There isn't any feedback here on them. I am probably going to try them to help with my undying squeek with LR pads.

I have been watching this thread and can't seem to find the Hawks or many choices for a Ceramic pad on a MY10-MY12 SC.

Ebc green might be worth trying - cant remember if theyre available for the SC.
Yes Atlantic British has them, all over Amazon etc. They also have their upgraded discs available separately or as a package with green stuff pads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perfect - Ill try these - I also have an undying squeak as mentioned here - possibly need to get the rotors lathed... interestingly the mechanic at the dealer said the RR service manual says to replace and not lathe... could be a ploy to make replacement more common place - I figure as long as the disc maintains correct thickness shouldnt be an issue. Any one have their OEM rotors resurfaced or turned to keep em longer? Any issues? I replaced em less than 50k kms ago. I believe rotors should last at least 100k kms under normal usage. but maybe im wrong given the front calipers are much bigger and thus maybe more abusive? thoguhts?

Thanks guys for all the advice! Looks like Hawks are in store once these stock dust maker pads finally die...

Hawk ceramic - very little dust. The link attached covers which hawks not to get if u care about dust as i made that mistake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Perfect - Ill try these - I also have an undying squeak as mentioned here - possibly need to get the rotors lathed... interestingly the mechanic at the dealer said the RR service manual says to replace and not lathe... could be a ploy to make replacement more common place - I figure as long as the disc maintains correct thickness shouldnt be an issue. Any one have their OEM rotors resurfaced or turned to keep em longer? Any issues? I replaced em less than 50k kms ago. I believe rotors should last at least 100k kms under normal usage. but maybe im wrong given the front calipers are much bigger and thus maybe more abusive? thoguhts?

Thanks guys for all the advice! Looks like Hawks are in store once these stock dust maker pads finally die...
Replace vs Lathe: my understanding is both the minimum thickness and varying thickness issue. Even if you maintain a minimum thickness the varying thickness could cause unsatisfactory performance or oscilations on these vehicles. A much lighter vehicle may not be such an issue.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Replace vs Lathe: my understanding is both the minimum thickness and varying thickness issue. Even if you maintain a minimum thickness the varying thickness could cause unsatisfactory performance or oscilations on these vehicles. A much lighter vehicle may not be such an issue.
You sound like you'd do well as an independent mechanic. You have very valid reasons to replace vs. turn the rotors. But there are also some very valid scenarios, which mechanics like to talk their way out of, where turning rotors is the more economical choice and perfectly safe.

I've been fed BS such as "whatever caused the rotors to warp in the first place will happen even faster on an thinner rotor". FYI that "whatever" - my faulty ABS pump causing my brakes not to release and bearing down while I found a safe place to pull over - has been replaced. Now what's your excuse? You just don't want to do it.

I get the economic part of the equation. You're doing all the work of replacing the rotors and not getting that big money. From a consumer's point of view (remember, we are the other half of the equation) we don't feel like shelling out four figures on the front axle every 30k. Does that make sense?

I have an equally as heavy domestic SUV that goes nearly 100k on fronts, even longer on rears, they have less wear. I just get all four corners done at once while I'm in there. It's about as much for both axles as the RR is for one. I wouldn't be so concerned about price if the intervals were as far apart, but for brake material that is so soft, that rotors should be lasting 3x pad changes, conservatively. Which they don't always do.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You sound like you'd do well as an independent mechanic. You have very valid reasons to replace vs. turn the rotors. But there are also some very valid scenarios, which mechanics like to talk their way out of, where turning rotors is the more economical choice and perfectly safe.
😆 I dunno wether that's a compliment or something else but in my defense I was simply stating the feedback I've gotten from more technical people than me, as well as my personal observations as to why most advocate replace or turn.

I don't personally have a dog in this fight. My rotors go years without needing to replace on the MY06. Given I only drive about 10k miles a year. I've no comment on the MY10-MY12 SCs as my oldest one is 6 months old to me and has maybe 3k miles since i bought it and rotors look great. I do know he replaced the rotors when he got the AB 3 years and 30k miles earlier.

·
Registered
163 Posts
😆 I dunno wether that's a compliment or something else but in my defense I was simply stating the feedback I've gotten from more technical people than me, as well as my personal observations as to why most advocate replace or turn.

I don't personally have a dog in this fight. My rotors go years without needing to replace on the MY06. Given I only drive about 10k miles a year. I've no comment on the MY10-MY12 SCs as my oldest one is 6 months old to me and has maybe 3k miles since i bought it and rotors look great. I do know he replaced the rotors when he got the AB 3 years and 30k miles earlier.
Lol. It was a joke for you, but deathly serious for my mechanic.

I'm sure you know what you're talking about. But some explanations I've heard (from my local) on why something isn't possible seem like blanket statements that don't exactly fit the situation. It's insulting that they'd even try to make something up rather than just admit hey, we don't do XYZ due to economic reasons, it's a lot of labor and the going rate for that job doesn't even cover our overhead.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Lol. It was a joke for you, but deathly serious for my mechanic.

I'm sure you know what you're talking about. But some explanations I've heard (from my local) on why something isn't possible seem like blanket statements that don't exactly fit the situation. It's insulting that they'd even try to make something up rather than just admit hey, we don't do XYZ due to economic reasons, it's a lot of labor and the going rate for that job doesn't even cover our overhead.
No worries at all! I'm learning as I go. One day I'll be able to tie my own shoes.

I'm sure liability and ease of work plays a big part of it. I know the mentality at the dealer is replace, not repair. These newer generation Tech's aren't trained with the knowledge and skills the older guys have. As those guys age, less and less of them are around to share or teach. I know my guys come from the older school and often just would rather replace to help negate potential issues and heck, its frankly often just quicker and easier.

Getting back to Brake Pads N Rotors: can someone point me in the direction of where i can purchase those Hawks for the SC and any reason NOT to use the Brembro NAO Ceramic pads?

·
Registered
163 Posts
No worries at all! I'm learning as I go. One day I'll be able to tie my own shoes.

I'm sure liability and ease of work plays a big part of it. I know the mentality at the dealer is replace, not repair. These newer generation Tech's aren't trained with the knowledge and skills the older guys have. As those guys age, less and less of them are around to share or teach. I know my guys come from the older school and often just would rather replace to help negate potential issues and heck, its frankly often just quicker and easier.

Getting back to Brake Pads N Rotors: can someone point me in the direction of where i can purchase those Hawks for the SC and any reason NOT to use the Brembro NAO Ceramic pads?
Building on this, can someone think of which retailer it was who said they had ceramics for the S/C but in reality it was the model for the HSE?

They'll sell you a big brake kit all day, though!

·
Registered
400 Posts
has anyone recently had hawk ceramics and EBC greens? i have greens on my LR4 and want to say the hawk ceramics dust less than the greens, the greens are MUCH MUCH better than oem, like night and day.

·
Registered
163 Posts
has anyone recently had hawk ceramics and EBC greens? i have greens on my LR4 and want to say the hawk ceramics dust less than the greens, the greens are MUCH MUCH better than oem, like night and day.
IIRC the EBC were “just as bad” as the OEM for life and dust per what I have heard anecdotally.

Please try this link for the Hawks. I tried filtering to your vehicle. Looks like we have a few options. One states “ultra low dust”.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You sir, deserve a 🍪

Thank you for the link and EBC thoughts. Everywhere I looked there was no listing for SC ceramic front pads for Hawk. This helps a lot.

I ordered a set of the Brembo Ceramic pads for the SC to try. Rockauto had then for about $120 USD, both fr and rr. I'll give my feedback next week after I've done the install this weekend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey all!

I'm looking for a Carbon Ceramic Rotor and pad two piece setup for the RRSC 2011.

Anyone have any ideas who may manufacture good ones for our vehicles? anyone with any experience using these on their rigs? I understand this is an expensive upgrade from the conventional. I've seen "Racing Brake" but they dont produce them in CC, only in 2 piece form and only for the RR sport.

Open to other brake rotor and pad setups as well. Am lookign for something that lasts long and is dust-less.

Thanks in advance!
Hi,
I too have a 2011 RRSC and have done brakes both front and rear. I have used factory pads for the front and am trying out the Brembo ceramic on the rear. I have chosen not to change the rotors out on my most recent job (F & B). However I will replace at the next inerval with a set of Brembo rotors I picked up from Rock Auto. Great website and very reasonable pricing. As far as the dust goes, I have found that Car Brite makes a wheel cleaner that works wonders on the dust which all have mentioned. I contacted the company in NJ and they gave me the name of the local distributor and he was more than happy to sell to me, normally they just support the local dealerships

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi,
I too have a 2011 RRSC and have done brakes both front and rear. I have used factory pads for the front and am trying out the Brembo ceramic on the rear. I have chosen not to change the rotors out on my most recent job (F & B). However I will replace at the next inerval with a set of Brembo rotors I picked up from Rock Auto. Great website and very reasonable pricing. As far as the dust goes, I have found that Car Brite makes a wheel cleaner that works wonders on the dust which all have mentioned. I contacted the company in NJ and they gave me the name of the local distributor and he was more than happy to sell to me, normally they just support the local dealerships
My Brembo Ceramic pads just landed this morning. I will install them in the next couple days. I also am going to install them on the stock rotors for now and see how it feels.

Would you say the brake dust is more or less than stock LR pads?

I personally use Adams Wheel Cleaner on my wheels with a soft mit for the face and a brush for the rear when it's needed but usually it's spray on and hose off once it turns purple.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts