RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that most of us have got our nice new trucks ( don't get mine until April) I thought I would share the way I have cleaned my cars over many years.
Iv'e been into cars since my teens ( many years ago) and rebuild a few classics over time, MGB GT, Triumph 2500, Stag and corvette Stingray. So when they had been painted I wanted to keep the bodywork as good an new.

There are three things we don't want to use.
1 Washing up liquid from the kitchen, its full of salt.
2 A sponge
3 A shammy leather to dry the car.

I don't like garage jet washers, the pressure is too high, and water at that pressure can get into seams and chassis cavities.

What we should be using is a good liquid shampoo from your auto shop, don't add to much to the bucket of warm, not hot water.
then get yourself a lambs wool mitt, Ebay do plenty. This will hold the water to wash the car, but all the dirt and grit sink into the mitt and not get dragged over the surface of the paint.
don't let the suds dry on the car, not much chance of that here in the UK, its either raining or about to rain :sad:
rinse off the suds with a hose pipe.
dry the car with a microfiber towel, again any bits of dirt get pulled down into the towel and not across the paint
Iv'e always used a good polish like Auto glym, you don't want to be cutting into the paint, if you see the body colour on the polishing rag your taking off paint, change the polish.
This won't apply with the RRs as a layer of laquer is applied over the paint.

So come on guys lets have clean and mean trucks.:tongue:

·
Registered
744 Posts
With the cold weather and OptiCoat, I've been lazy and going to the touch-less car washes. Comes out looking like it's off the showroom floor, with the exception of those pesky brake dust on the wheels.

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,429 Posts
With the cold weather and OptiCoat, I've been lazy and going to the touch-less car washes. Comes out looking like it's off the showroom floor, with the exception of those pesky brake dust on the wheels.

-ThinkMac-
I just checked last week. Ceramic pads are not available yet.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
My only car washing "tip" is the money I hand the guy after he's done washing and drying my car.

The biggest reason I don't wash my own cars anymore is because it would normally take me 4 hours to get the job done. I would never be happy. It seemed like no matter how clean it got, I always could find something that needed more attention. Now I have a carwash membership through a website that allows me to get unlimited washes each month for $45. I get the car washed 3 times a week. I might be the reason why California has a water shortage btw.

The local joint does an OK job on my car and it's literally 4 doors down from my building so I drop off the car and walk to work ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts