RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Sport from new for just over 2 years and it has never let me down, until yesterday!
I had my 19 month old grandchild in the car and was devastated that after parking I left the car, shut my door to walk to the back to get him out and the car locked itself. My key was inside my bag which was still in the car.
When I say locked it was not he normal locking as the mirrors did not fold in.
I called 999 and the fire service arrived and had to take out the front passenger window. Thankfully GC was very frightened but soon forgot the trauma.
So now I have a car full of glass and no window.
Waiting to hear back from LR but don't think it should be me that has to pay for replacement window.
Anyone else had a similar fault on vehicle?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,773 Posts
Waiting to hear back from LR but don't think it should be me that has to pay for replacement window.
I can't help but think you are leaving out some details... like what year Sport? Did you use the master switch to unlock all the doors or simply open the driver's door with the handle? Did you have the child locks enabled? Passive locking will only activate if the key is sensed outside of the Rover and the key is used to unlock the vehicle.

No matter how you look at it nobody else is responsible for the window replacement. I don't know how you feel LR should be held responsible. You are the one that left the key inside the car.

From the owner's manual. Before exiting the vehicle, always make sure of the following: Park (P) gear is selected. The engine is switched off. The Electric Parking Brake (EPB) is applied. The smart key is removed from the vehicle. Failure to adhere to any of the above may lead to serious personal injuries or death.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
18 Posts
Glad your GC is safe and get to the bottom of your issue and get that window replaced before it rains!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have had my Sport from new for just over 2 years and it has never let me down, until yesterday!
I had my 19 month old grandchild in the car and was devastated that after parking I left the car, shut my door to walk to the back to get him out and the car locked itself. My key was inside my bag which was still in the car.
When I say locked it was not he normal locking as the mirrors did not fold in.
I called 999 and the fire service arrived and had to take out the front passenger window. Thankfully GC was very frightened but soon forgot the trauma.
So now I have a car full of glass and no window.
Anyone else had a similar fault on vehicle?
That’s a horrible situation but I’m glad no one was hurt. A window is replaceable. That being said, why didn’t you try to use your LR mobile app to do a remote unlock using your device? Wouldn’t that have worked too? Or calling JLR roadside assistance to perhaps send a signal to your vehicle to unlock? I’m sure L494s come standard with these features.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I’m glad GC is ok, that’s the main thing. Maybe something else in your Bag was shielding the Key, preventing it from being detected by the internal sensors?

My Wife keeps hers in her handbag, sometimes it won’t work so she has to go fishing for it and take it out so the Car will unlock.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
906 Posts
That really stinks. Glad it worked out.

We were off roading and the keys got locked in an H2. We had to bust the window with an ax because OnStar couldn't reach the vehicle.

As for your situation I am sure since your keys were in your bag I am guessing that your phone was probably in the same spot. In your vehicle and thus using the mobile app might not have been possible.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had an X5 not that long ago do the same thing. I keep my key in the drivers door side compartment. Always.

Shut the door and bam, locked. I was not pleased. I had to have someone go to my house and get my spare and bring it to me. I was lucky, as I didn’t have a living being in the car.

Personally, I think you are out of luck. You will pay. But it’s clearly a defect with the car. Closing the door with the key in the car is not your fault. But good luck getting blood from a stone.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That really stinks. Glad it worked out.

We were off roading and the keys got locked in an H2. We had to bust the window with an ax because OnStar couldn't reach the vehicle.

As for your situation I am sure since your keys were in your bag I am guessing that your phone was probably in the same spot. In your vehicle and thus using the mobile app might not have been possible.
OP said that he/she called 999 emergency services. I’m assuming that’s with a cellular telephone.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,773 Posts
looks like this thread is going to die out as a one post wonder. Woody has not even logged on since posting. The likelihood of any kind of follow up or resolution is slim.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts