RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SIAP, but I did search the forum for both of these topics and could not locate.

Car Play question - I called my dealer in Austin and they told me that updating to install Car Play is $147. I was under the impression this was a free update that came with the 18D update?? Is this not the case? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Map Update question - I keep getting a notice on my Nav saying there is a new Map update to download. I have gone to the website listed on the "update message" that pops up on the screen and it seems to be the European site. I have spoken with the dealer today on this topic and they are saying there is no new update since 2017 and there won't be until 2019 and to disregard the "new update" message. However I seem to have read on this forum that there is a way to download a new map update to the vehicle, and I thought folks were doing that with their 2018 models.

Thanks for the help!

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
18C/D update is mostly free (at discretion of dealer), but usually you can get the update free of charge if there's something currently wrong with the infotainment system or complains of problems (so tell the dealer of some recent issues and should be covered under warranty for the update).

I went through the Map update issue as well and it turns out (thanks to this forum), that you have to goto the here.com website (which supplies the map data). And there is an update, don't believe dealer.
https://landrover.here.com

Just register and put in your VIN and once it registers the vehicle, the new map data will be available for download. Download to USB (instructions are on the site) and plug it into your SVR and it'll update (takes a while to update, be patient). Downloads options for both MacOS and Windows.

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great info. I went to here.com per the dealer, and then chose Land Rover as vehicle make and then RRS as model, but there was no option for an update past 2016. I’ll try your suggestion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carplay is part of the smartphone pack being installed along with the 18D update. Unfortunately some dealers are gouging customers for the smartphone pack. Take a browse through the below link. It has kind of migrated to the 18D update.

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/13-general-chatter/328932-incontrol-touch-pro-18c-smartphone-pack-process-cost-survey.html

Question on car play. I have an appointment on Monday to have the 18D update installed including car play. I was never able to get the ATT SIM card provided by LR to work in my SVR so I ultimately went with TMobile for the sim. It has worked flawlessly since summer. Is this going to be an issue when they download update 18D with Car Play?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have same MY SVR and T-Mo SIM card. There is definitely a map update - make sure that you are tagged to the right region when registering (U.S.) so that it knows the correct map data to present to you. Instructions for downloading the data to a flash drive and self installing in the vehicle are pretty straightforward.

18D will not affect your T-Mo data plan or SIM in any way. The graphics on the lower screen look better and many issues have been fixed or stabilized. That said, it is isn’t 100% perfect and you still will need to be conscious of letting the software and IMC boot fully before driving off if you want to minimize issues. It is an upgrade that is well worth it, especially once they start pushing code OTA. Knowing JLR I’m sure there will be another update in January that will fix (and break) other things.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have same MY SVR and T-Mo SIM card. There is definitely a map update - make sure that you are tagged to the right region when registering (U.S.) so that it knows the correct map data to present to you. Instructions for downloading the data to a flash drive and self installing in the vehicle are pretty straightforward.

18D will not affect your T-Mo data plan or SIM in any way. The graphics on the lower screen look better and many issues have been fixed or stabilized. That said, it is isn’t 100% perfect and you still will need to be conscious of letting the software and IMC boot fully before driving off if you want to minimize issues. It is an upgrade that is well worth it, especially once they start pushing code OTA. Knowing JLR I’m sure there will be another update in January that will fix (and break) other things.

Got the 18D update installed yesterday. Took about 5 hours total as they said they had to download the previous two updates prior to this one. They also said that they kept on getting an error regarding the Smart Phone Pack download. They were thinking it didn't download properly or the vehicle is not recognizing that part of the update for some reason, but beyond that they couldn't tell me anything regarding how that would affect the functionality of the update that was installed. Apple Car Play seems to be working flawlessly, and all of the new graphics have downloaded to the bottom screen (or at least I assume all of them have). Only new graphics with this update seem to be with the "Vehicle" screen where you can choose drive settings. Is this accurate for everyone else, or are there more graphics updates that I'm missing?

Lastly, I have tried to update the map using the instructions posted on this board, and can't seem to get anywhere. After downloading the NA map update to my flash drive, there seems to be a ton of files that are included. It only took about 2 minutes to download to the flash drive though, and another map update specific thread mentions this being a 9gb file and taking 2-3 hours to download to the drive. This is not occuring when I download the Map Update to my flash drive. After plugging the drive into the usb port in my vehicle, and then going to Navigation, the download is supposed to be recognized automatically, where you are then able to simply follow the prompts on the screen. This part is not happening either. Nothing happens at all after plugging the flash drive into the usb port and then clicking Navigation. I am not sure what I'm doing wrong here but any advice would be greatly appreciated as always.

·
Registered
102 Posts
First, make sure that you downloaded all files for the map update. It doesn’t necessarily take 2-3 hours to download, it all depends on your internet speed. Mine only took 15 minutes to download to my laptop.

Second, make sure that the map files are in the root directory on your flash drive and not tucked into a folder. Best thing to do is use a clean flash drive with only the map files on it.

I would start over, download the files again from the JLR site to a clean flash drive, then insert into the vehicle USB port. Try both USB ports in the vehicle if you still have issues. Hopefully this will get your maps updated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
6 Posts
18C/D update is mostly free (at discretion of dealer), but usually you can get the update free of charge if there's something currently wrong with the infotainment system or complains of problems (so tell the dealer of some recent issues and should be covered under warranty for the update).

I went through the Map update issue as well and it turns out (thanks to this forum), that you have to goto the here.com website (which supplies the map data). And there is an update, don't believe dealer.
https://landrover.here.com

Just register and put in your VIN and once it registers the vehicle, the new map data will be available for download. Download to USB (instructions are on the site) and plug it into your SVR and it'll update (takes a while to update, be patient). Downloads options for both MacOS and Windows.

-ThinkMac-
For some reason my VIN was invalid - did anyone else have this problem? I have a 2015 RR Sport.

·
Registered
746 Posts
JW1988. I ran into an issue (don't remember if it says invalid VIN or not) when originally trying to register my VIN. On a Mac, tried Safrai/FireFox/Chrome and it still gave me error, basically I registered and goto my vehicles section and the car is not registered, I goto register again and same result, looped for some many times. I kept it for a few days and one day, the vehicle just show up (might have been a couple of days later), I'm wondering if it takes the registration but just takes time for the vehicle to show up as YOURS. not sure if we're having the same problem, but that was my experience with the here.com website.

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
127 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts