RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

My 2007 RRS SC is leaning right, and we cannot pinpoint the problem. I went to 2 different LR shops, and I am 5k into this problem with no solution.

Here is the situation:

• Car is tilted to the right few inches. Various attempts to do calibration didn't fix the problem.
  • Car lowers overnight, but if I turn off EAS with my GAP tool (or by pulling the fuse), it does not lower. - I feel like this means I don't have any leak.
  • LR shop did a soap test and didn't find any leak

What we have done:

• 1st LR shop thought that the front-right strut was leaking. We replaced it, and the issue didn't go away. TBH: I don't think my strut was leaking because the car sits stable if I disable EAS with my gap iid tool.
  • They tried to calibrate the suspension, and they told me that they are getting bad data from the rear-right sensor. We replaced the sensor.
  • They tried to calibrate the suspension again, but now they told me that the air compressor is weak and cannot do the calibration. At this point, I lost my trust in these guys and went to another LR shop.
  • 2nd LR shop told me the same thing about the air compressor and they recommended replacing it. We ended up replacing a perfectly working -but weak- air compressor with a brand new AMK. They did the calibration again but that didn't solve the problem either.
  • At this point, I decided to replace the front-right height sensor by myself to eliminate another potential problem. It was easy to access so I replaced it myself and tried to re-calibrate it with my GAP IID but the car is still leaning right.

I don't ****ing know what to do at this point. 2nd LR shop is now recommending replacing front and rear valve blocks too. I feel like everyone is just ripping me off without doing a proper diagnosis.

TL;DR:

• New front-right strut
  • New front-right and rear-right height sensor
  • New air compressor
  • 6 months old front-valve block
  • Various attempt to do calibration but car is still leaning right

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there! I recently faced the same issue in my RRS 08 4.2 SC. My front right shock was also slightly lower then usual until it damaged my compressor completely. To fix it, I had to repair the following:
  • Air Compressor Assembly
  • Air Solenoid Valve Assy
  • Front Air Control Solenoid Valve
  • Front Air Suspension hoses (tiny hoses that had holes, caused by heat)

I did not have to change the physical shock as it didn't have any leaks in the bag.

After repairing the following, my cars been completely fine.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
473 Posts
If you are pulling the fuse and it is not moving - seems like it is not a leak. Seems like Computer is trying to balance car at night. If sensors and calibration did not fix - what about wiring ? Do you see any damage to the sensor wires ? Also what about battery voltage - check in evening and then next morning. What happens when you start car in morning - compressor runs ? Comes back to correct height quickly on the right side ?

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are pulling the fuse and it is not moving - seems like it is not a leak. Seems like Computer is trying to balance car at night. If sensors and calibration did not fix - what about wiring ? Do you see any damage to the sensor wires ? Also what about battery voltage - check in evening and then next morning. What happens when you start car in morning - compressor runs ? Comes back to correct height quickly on the right side ?
Hello @Alpaca
I agree with you. I don't think there are any leaks. Wiring looks ok I don't see anything unusual. Battery voltage is fine as well.

When I start the car in the morning, it raises back up but the car is still tilted to the right.
Whatever I do, it's always tilted to the right

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am having the same issue as well but it didn’t start till after both right struts were replaced with arnotts. I had both replaced again under warranty and issue persists. My left side will hold strong all night.

can you put the vehicle in access height mode? When I try to do mine it will pop right back up thinking something is undetnesth the vehicle.

·
Registered
2010 SC 5.0 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,995 Posts
look under the battery tray for acid that has dripped on the junction block this will damage the hoses and O rings

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
248 Posts
Hi Alican,
Have you thought that maybe a left hand sensor is out of whack and is holding the left side high?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Your front valve block has white powder in it from your old compressor dryer. The dryer desiccant probably went down the lines. This causes an internal leak which will leak back towards the compressor and leak out the exhaust. Does the truck consistently lean or just intermittently?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
248 Posts
Hello @Alpaca
I agree with you. I don't think there are any leaks. Wiring looks ok I don't see anything unusual. Battery voltage is fine as well.

When I start the car in the morning, it raises back up but the car is still tilted to the right.
Whatever I do, it's always tilted to the right
Everything points to your system being leak free and functioning normally.
Being a closed loop control system, the only existing possibility is that the computer is getting an incorrect feedback.
The error can be with sensors on either side if your car.
You have pretty well checked out the right hand side, but if a sensor on the left hand side low on output for example, the system will raise that side to balance the signals on the right.
I suggest you do a full check of the left hand sensors.
Good luck

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover Sport SC L320
139 Posts
The car levels itself when parked, so it seems that there is something triggering height sensors and make the struts uneven - loose wiring somewhere? Also, the amount of lower the car does overnight is not directly proportional to the leak - it can take a few days for a car to lower, or one night.

The valve blocks are easily rebuildable - they have kits that change the o-rings inside. Make sure you save the compression fitting/colette for the hose from the old valve blocks and be careful when prying them from the hose. It is tricky to pull the hose and reinsert it on the rear block so keep that in mind. Rebuilding the valve block at the compressor is easy.

My car had a lot of air suspension issues before also. Two front struts, rebuilt all the valve blocks and the air compressor later, the car keeps the same height for good and the ride is very good. If I could do it all over again, I would clean and rebuild the valve blocks and compressor first (especially since they haven't been touched since 2006), then mess with the struts.

Its hard to trust dealers nowadays - maybe since cars are more complicated and it is just very hard to get to the root cause of the problem. I had a dealer change the front valve block years ago, and the problem was actually wiring that was damaged when i tried powering through a foot of snow. I was very lucky to find it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts