RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Vogue (V8 Petrol, Autobiography) for 5 months and it started making a rattling sound yesterday, then within minutes I pulled over and got taken in to the dealership, they now tell me the big ends have gone! It's only done 4,000 miles!

Do you think I should demand a new engine not a repair? What about a new car? Do I have any options here?

Ben
- Brisbane, Australia
:crybaby2:

·
Registered
249 Posts
if you bought it new, I would demand a new engine..... I would not want shop monkeys at the dealership tearing apart a engine. It should not even be a issue for them source a new engine. I know for the new cars, porsche dealers are not even allowed to open a engine, they just return them and instal new engines.

good luck

G

·
0 Posts
03rangiemark said:
Sorry for the stupid question.
Big ends of what?
Big ends is the common name for the big bearings on the larger side of the connecting rod (or con-rod), or the bearings around the crank of each piston (hence "big end" of the con-rod as opposed to the small end that connects to the piston itself.) If they have oil starvation issues, they will wear and cause an excess of free play of the con-rod to crank causing poor compression and and damage to the crank.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Thanks! I haven't heard of the lower connecting rod bearings called that before. Maybe it's a vernacular on that side of "The Pond", or maybe it's just that I very rarely hear of the connecting rod bearings going out. I know the main bearings or "mains" can go, and I'ver heard of a connecting rod breaking (Been a really long time since I've heard of that tough). But regardless, Thank you for teaching me something new today.

I guess the mystery to be solved is what caused the "Big Ends" to fail; what impeded proper oil circulation at the crank? And if they went, are the mains far behind? Please post when the cause is discovered.
But of course you'll replace the mains with the rest of the bearings on the crank.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I can't see any dealer doing internal engine work ever, unless it's a very simple job in the heads. That stuff is always outsourced and more often than not they fit a new engine since the manufacturer is picking up the tab anyway.

Are they telling you they're going to do internal engine work?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Hey Rangiemark,
Pick up 'Hot Rod' or 'Car Craft' - the mags of my youth :) - and read up. Def not limited to 'this side of the pond'. Unless the language has changed completely...

And Benflux - I'd demand a new car. And immediately engage a lawyer. Not because I hate Land Rover (I don't) but because you'll need clout to help you get out of a sticky situation.
If it really is big ends on a 4000 mile motor, LR ****ed up big time on assy. Let them deal w/ the potential headaches with a new motor (just rod bearings? NFW, no way ! Did they really offer that?) or resale on a car with 4000 miles more on it than the motor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've just emailed the dealer principle stating that I won't settle for less than a new car......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No reply all week so I called. He's away for a month, nobody is getting his emails and no auto-responder! Ah well, now they know verbally at least. I await.

·
Registered
30 Posts
g'day mate,

definitely engage a solicitor or better still, a Barrister. A letter from a barrister usually scares the bejesus outta anyone.

Good luck.....we await to hear LRs response.

Cheers.

PS - I'll be in Brissy week after next....whats this got to do with anything? Nothing, just excited about my road trip `)

G

·
0 Posts
catchy said:
g'day mate,

definitely engage a solicitor or better still, a Barrister. A letter from a barrister usually scares the bejesus outta anyone.

Cheers.

PS - I'll be in Brissy week after next....whats this got to do with anything? Nothing, just excited about my road trip `)
What exactly is a "bajesus" and where do I go to get a replacement one when I have had mine scared out of me? Can I just reuse the original (after a thourough cleaning obviously?)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,421 Posts
I see you are in Oz.

4000 miles or km?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mr. Range Rover said:
catchy said:
g'day mate,

Cheers.

What exactly is a "bajesus" and where do I go to get a replacement one when I have had mine scared out of me? Can I just reuse the original (after a thourough cleaning obviously?)
be·je·sus (bi j??z?s)
interjection
used variously to express surprise, pleasure, anger, annoyance, etc.
noun
SLANG a term of indefinite meaning, often used to provide emphasis, esp. in such phrases as beat (or scare) the bejesus out of 8)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LR Australia having a head office meeting about how they are going to respond to my issue, expecting an update on Monday....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good luck Beneflux. I was "assisted" into a new RRS by Land Rover Australia after several attempts to fix a couple of issues on a car which was 7 months old and with less than 10000km. Their obligation in Australia is merely to honor the warranty as we have no lemon laws (not here in VIC anyway) it was not an easy process and someone else I know who has had some issues has had very poor treatment. However, I had great support from my salesman who I believe may have fallen on his sword for a matter of principal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LR and dealer saying it's down to the other. Dealer Principle returns from holiday on Monday so i've been asked to wait....popular newspaper motoring journalist poised to call them for me if it doesn't go my way....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Still got me fingers crossed fur yer.
just tell them tae hurry up as fingers hurtin noo.

seriously, hope aw goes good

Bill

1 - 20 of 23 Posts