1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a '97 P38, 4.6l HSE Auto

Today when I tried to park up I found that I can no longer select P on the gearbox. The lever physically seems to travel to the end of the H gate, but the gear indicator both on the H gate and on the dashboard still reads R. If I travel all the way to the bottom of the gate, which should be 1, the indicators both read 2.
I tried moving over to low range, it also seems that Neutral is 'not in the right place' so moving over was tricky, but basically the same thing was true in low range. Moving to the top still wasn't far enough to engage P, and on the bottom not low enough to engage 1st.

Looking around my immediate thought was the selector/xyz switch, but would rather get a second opinion not jump to replacing if there could be something else going on. I've had no dash warnings, and once in a gear selection the car doesn't seem to slip between.

Worth declaring the car also took a bit of a swim over the weekend, and whilst its done 100+ miles since with no problems, I'm thinking that adds to the idea that the xyz has filled up with water/gunk (as per the description here: http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/drivetrain/transelector.html )

Ideas welcome! Cheers!

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Definitely the XYZ switch. Getting them wet can cause failures in two ways, either the water shorts between lines and it displays incorrectly or the water rots through the copper strips that connect the terminals to the actual switch contacts and cause it to read incorrectly. Other than P and 1st does it read correctly in all other positions or does it give odd readings in other places? They aren't cheap and if you are brave you can drill the heads off the rivets, repair or dry it out and put it back together with 3mm bolts and nuts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gilbertd,
Strangely this morning everything was back to normal, there's some used ones on ebay for £25-50 - will change it over the weekend and attempt to repair the old one as a spare. Assume there's no danger in limping around in the meantime as long as it doesn't start slipping randomly between D and R?
Anyone here done it and have any tips beyond the advice on the main site? Looks a bit fiddly to get to.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
+1 on checking the cable. Mine has the issue where sometimes I can't get it all the way into '1' in high range sometimes. I did lubricate the cable awhile ago and it freed it up, but think it might need adjusting aswell, so might be worth checking the adjuster.

From memory it's a split pin, then you can disconnect the cable and turn the adjuster. There are directions in the workshop manual (RAVE - a link is in the 'FAQ' stickie at the top of the forum to download it) on how to set it properly.

If it's not the adjustment, then as Gilbertd mentions - it's more then likely the XYZ switch... especially as you mention it's been for a swim!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts