1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Firstly Happy New Year to you all.

Secondly, I drive a 2001 P38 2.5 DSE with a manual gearbox. I went away to Stratford Upon Avon for the New Year and on the way home after dropping a friend off, I was in some slow moving traffic. As I approached the traffic lights, I went to select 1st gear and the selection didn't feel right; very soft and easy to select as opposed to very slightly notchy. I traveled about 30 yards, slowly, and then had to stop. Took the car out of gear, put the handbrake on and waited for the traffic to move on. The traffic moved on and when I went to select 1st gear the was nothing!

The gear lever was loose and sloppy when moving forward and back but still had the 'spring' back to the central position when moved from side to side, although it would only do this between 1st & 2nd and 3rd & 4th. It will not 'kick over' into the 5th & reverse part of the selection gate; it is blocked by something solid.

Is this a selector mechanism problem external to the gearbox or is it an internal issue?

Any clues would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Austin

R

·
0 Posts
the manual R380 gearbox in the DSE has an displaced mechanism (trying to explain , hope i can..)

the lever is about 30cm to the rear of the car opposed to the hole in the gearbox where the selection of gears is done.

it's possible that this box in which the displacement is achieved has some part loose in it, not allowing you to move the selectionshafts in the gearbox anymore....

since a P38 manual is quiet rare in the Netherlands, (at the dealership I worked, there were only 4 manuals sold I believe, and all were DT, did not know untill I searched for my P38 in Germany that a DSE was not only available as autobox )

I have not seen many of them in my LR. workshopdays, and I can't remember if it is reachable without removing the gearbox out of the car. perhaps you can manage with only lowering the gearbox at the rear

the "selector displacement part" UKD100830:

R380 for a P38 with the mentioned part mounted :

·
Registered
230 Posts
Could well be the bolts holding the gear lever to the remote selector mechanics have worked loose and one has finally fallen out. This will let the lever pivot on the one remaining (loose) bolt allowing it to swing back and forth without moving the remote selector rod gubbings but still be capable of swinging the rod side to side so the centrally sprung gating still works after a fashion. I imagine things aren't exactly central hence the balking preventing movement in the 5 th gear plane.

See RAVE Workshop manual section 37 Manual Gearbox Repair page 6 for a nice picture and how to get at it instructions. Basically centre console out, undo 6 nuts and slide gaiter up gear lever.

I've had equivalent derangements on other vehicles and, in retrospect, the soft lever movement following a slow slide into an over notchy gear change are a positive diagnostic.

Clive

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
It does sound like it's a problem with the remote selector mechanism. You can get to from the interior by dropping the crossmember and gearbox a bit, without having to take it of the engine. You do have to take out the cubbybox etc. The hardest part is getting the metal cover plate through the hole in the floor. Then the bolts at the front are just within reach.

Filip

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
you don't get diesels either.... and the manual in a P38 was only available for the diesel....
There were some manual 4.0L SE's in the first years aswell.. but pretty rare these days!

R

·
0 Posts
did not know that either...... but while I did know there was a 4,0 available, (the dealership I worked had only one customer driving one, all the others (besides a few (3 if i remeber correct) 2,5DT manuals) drove either 4,6 HSE or 2,5 DSE and all autobox) I never saw (back then and now) a V8 P38 with manual gearbox one keeps learning

but.... how is our topicstarter getting on with his gearbox selector problem??

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
There were some manual 4.0L SE's in the first years aswell.. but pretty rare these days!
Indeed, I have 2 manual V8s, a '97 and a '95 that has been upgraded with a 4.6.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
143 Posts
Indeed, I have 2 manual V8s, a '97 and a '95 that has been upgraded with a 4.6.
so the 4.6 will bolt on to the original manual trans? Does it matter if it's the early or late 4.6?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
Nope. The block it the same across all P38 petrol V8s. However you may run into license issues in Florida with a conversion. You also have pedal box, ECU, Transfer ECU, BeCM setting etc to take into account as well.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
143 Posts
Nope. The block it the same across all P38 petrol V8s. However you may run into license issues in Florida with a conversion. You also have pedal box, ECU, Transfer ECU, BeCM setting etc to take into account as well.
Intersting! I'll have to keep that in mind...2015 has good possibilities for me finally getting into a P38...and I would just LOOVE a manual conversion. I have tons of questions...but i'll hold on to them until a more appropriate time.

On another note, it threw me off that you said that I may run into issues in Florida....i just noticed for some odd reason my location is shown as Florida :)...i'll correct that, but just out of curiosity, do they have strange inspection rules or something?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
Doesn't matter if it is Florida or Maryland. Your local inspection and license process should very well researched before making such a drastic change.

As far as the previous Florida location you are showing as having signed up and posting from an IP in Florida.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts