RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only acquired the vehicle 2 weeks ago so I don't know any history. When I got it I had no problems, then the last couple of days the gearbox has been getting tight. Today I've been unable to select 5th or reverse. First to fourth is alright but I can't get the gear stick through the gate for the others. This is my first P38, my last RR was the classic, I'm wondering if this a common P38 problem or am I in the sticky and smelly?

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
The linkage between the gearlever and gearbox uses the same rod for R and 5. It sounds like something is jamming this. You can reach the lever side easily from the inside, by taking of the center console. To access the gearbox side (to the front of the car), you need to drop the gearbox about 5cm to have enough room to reach the linkage from above.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had that a few years ago and had to replace the selector box on top of the gearbox. It isn't supposed to be a serviceable item although I have heard otherwise. Mine's been in the shed for 2 years while I try to work out how to get it apart!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a look at trying to get to the top of the box today, then decided to investigate the price of a recon. Phoned around a few places, got one quoted £500 for the box £395 for the labour no doubt plus VAT, so she's going in Monday morning. Thanks to the members who made some input.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes, it is a bit of a pain in the rear to get to. You don't have to drop the box completely but you're half-way there. And yes, they're ike hen's teeth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts