RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a slow leak on TPMS valve outer seal. A simple seal kit would normally fix this, but... I cannot get a 12mm deep socket to fit on the nut as it seems that the valves installed by the previous owner are somewhat offset in the recess of the rim. The socket hits the side of the recess and prevents the socket from sliding over the nut. Could this be from cheap aftermarket TPMS units, or just previous installer error? Can the valves be installed slightly offset if someone isn't paying attention and still seal?
The Genuine/OEM look like they have a tapered inner seal, while the aftermarket ones have a flat inner seal.
The only solutions I have have come up with if it turns out that its poor mfg standards on aftermarket are:
1) Drill it out and install new genuine/OEM ($90.00) I will have to do remaining 3 eventually.
2) Grind a cheap socket down slightly to fit and remove, install seal kit. ($8.00)
3) ???

It wouldn't kill me to replace the unit/units with a Genuine/OEM, IF it solves the offset issue for future repairs.
If it won't solve the offset issue, then grinding down the outside of a cheap socket to repair the existing unit would be smarter. I won't have much meat to grind off, as it's a deep thin wall socket to start, but the low torque on the nut may not split the thinner wall. Also, it won't take much to make the socket fit.
Anyone have any other ideas?

2009 FFRR, but with 2009 Range Rover Sport 20" rims.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, 60 people read this with no replies, so I guess nobody has had this issue. I must be that they are cheap aftermarket sensors.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts